Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
i'm trying to eat healthier, not always succeeding, but trying.

I had a salad today and thought I'd try to make the acv dressing that my husbands grandmother used to make. It's simply EVOO mixed with ACV.

It. was. nasty.

First bite I was all excited about trying it, as a healthy alternative to dressings.

I forced myself to eat the second and third bites, and by the fourth bite my lips had clamped shut and I couldn't pry them open to let the fork through.

I did choke down the tomato and remaining green peppers in the salad, but the lettuce went to the chickens.

I'm perfectly happy eating my salads with no dressing. I can handle that.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My most recent favorite dressing is boiled egg yolks mixed with a little chili pepper juice & a touch of bacon. It was one of those happy accidents.
And don't worry about needing dressing, if you like the veggies without, go without! I grew up eating veggies as is. Mom would cook them to death, dad would eat them raw. I took after dad.

Oh, have you tried other types of lettuce? Spinach is my favorite, followed by a "spring mix" type, lots of different greens, raddichio, oak leaf lettuce, baby spinach and others I'm not sure of.
Yogurt mixed with some basil & garlic is good, free posted a good peppercorn recipe somewhere.
I second Dace's advice to you on your thread, btw. Good info there.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
i like romaine lettuce and baby spinach.

and collard greens.

and mustard greens.

and turnip greens.

and raw cauliflower and broccoli.

and raw peas fresh from the garden.

I also like all of those (except the romaine lettuce) cooked in real butter with just a dash of salt. :drool

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest misconceptions about eating healthier is that it must be salads. I'm totally throwing myself under the bus with this because it almost always ends up on the menu when I'm trying to get the family to eat healthier and we almost never actually eat it. I think just eating more veggies in general is what is important. I've been thinking about doing a weekly rotational menu. Sunday - roast chicken, Monday - Salad, Tuesday - Pasta, Wednesday - Soup/Stews, Thursday - Leftovers, Friday - Fish, Saturday - ?beef or pork? (we don't eat beef anymore) or something along those lines.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Miss Priss showed up today to give a detailed report. Her report requested more time to complete her mission. She reiterated that she is deep undercover, and that it would take a couple more weeks for her to bring her Top Secret mission full circle.

She still refused to give up her position, but with some careful tracking and following procedures, her deep and under cover hideout was discovered. She doesn't realize yet that she's been discovered, we felt that at this point, it was better to let her go on thinking she was well hidden.

Miss Puddles and Miss Dash have been re-assigned to Nest Detail. They are working on a joint nest venture. They didn't go deep undercover, and as a result, are pretty much in plain view - and sharing the nest.

The Blue Swedish ducks will be receiving New Orders and Transfer Papers - hopefully by this weekend. As well as the Khaki Campbell Drake.

Other re-assignments are being issued to the pair of Dominiques and possibly a pair of Sumatras. They will be up for review this weekend.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
The Magpie ducks have bravely put themselves on the chopping block so to speak in order to see the successful fulfillment of our top secret G.O.A.T mission.

Sassy the Doe is on her way to our farm RIGHT NOW and should be here in the next hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, so I had to throw in a badly needs to be repaired hutch, but the deal is done! whoot! The Magpies are now being re-assigned to the other farm.

Now, next mission - make sure Sassy is healthy enough for breeding....and find out about CAE testing?

In other news, one of the MIA Mallard gals showed up this morning with 5 new recruits!

Also, the blue Sebbie - Belle - is looking for a place to make a nest, I think. She had checked out this old dog box in our back yard a couple days ago - and was quite ticked off this morning to find that both Puddles and Dash are sharing a joint nest in the box that shehad picked out. Belle sent a complaint up the chain of command - and still has not shut up about it.

Also, I know longer have Embden Goslings - as they were crushed night before last by their own mother. Stupid goose.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm nervous now about letting my geese keep their hatchlings whenever that happens. :/ Not like I need to raise them up, though. I'm selling 2 of my 4 adult Embdens also. One pair of Embdens is plenty. :rolleyes:

Oh, and welcome home Sassy! :D

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aw, that stinks about the goslings, give that goose a :smack

Speaking of veggies, I thought you might enjoy this idea from Dace - summer rolls - http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5371

I get bored with veggies easily, so I need lots of different flavors to use. I'm going to use cabbage or lettuce to wrap them since I don't have any rice paper.