Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Also, I know longer have Embden Goslings - as they were crushed night before last by their own mother. Stupid goose.
really!?!?!?

ok so is the doe there now??

:)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
hi ofg!

and yes, really! I'm now torn between do I keep the pair and give them another go at it, and hope she's a better mom next time around, or sell them off to the first sucker? er I mean buyer??

And, yep! Sassy is here! and in her first hour crawled out of the pasture THREE TIMES! No, she didn't go through the fence, she belly crawled UNDER the fence.

Frankly, I was shocked, because when Sassy and Snowball were here before, they were the only goats that didn't try to escape the pasture.

E said, "It's because you only got one" to which I pointedly yelled back, "YOU said I could only GET ONE!"

He shut up.

And then he very helpfully suggested that I just tie her out for now - and that's working great so far! She's not bawling her head off - nope, she's got her nose in the brush and is eating like crazy.

I do think she's a bit on the thin side - but that could be because I'm used to how over weight she was when we first got her, but I think it's because the pasture that's not really a pasture she just came from didn't have enough nutrition for her the two other goats and the Alpaca that she was sharing it with.

As soon as she got here she was in sensory overload - and it was like she couldn't decide where to start eating first! She's grab a bite, run to another spot, grab another bite...etc. etc.

But now she's calm, and is eating everything she can reach. I'm going to use the tether technique for a few days and use her as a weed eater around the goose pens and down the logging road during the day.

I'll stick her in my chicken barn at night.

BUT....I won! *snicker* E said I had to have the cow pasture fixed up before I got my goat. :gig I got my goat first.

I'll still do the pasture.

Even E seemed pleased to see Sassy. He didn't get mad that she didn't stay in the pasture, either. No, he thought that was rather funny and enjoyed a good laugh.

I had the eerie feeling of deja vu......

I thought I'd want to try to get her bred now for a fall kidding, but I've decided instead to use this spring and summer to make sure she's in optimal health and maybe aim for a fall breeding.

Worst case scenario - I just got a pet goat.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
yep, my mom's day present to myself!

Guess how wonderful my friend Becca is?! :D

OK, I'm so totally gonna brag!!

and I'm trying r e a l l y hard to NOT rip open the box in front of my t.v. right now......

she participated in an egg trade - well, the eggs she originally wanted weren't able to be shipped - so she opted to get Black/Lav split orps and BLRW eggs instead from the person - GUESS WHO'S PROBABLY GOING TO GET THOSE CHICKS WHEN THEY HATCH?!

Can we say awesome friend?!

I'm trying to decide - do I pitch some of the eggs in my 'bator (I think some need pitched, they've candled clear last night) and stuff them in mine, or let my friend incubate for me???

Hmm....

Decisions decisions!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I opened the box. :hide

I now have 7 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Eggs and 7 Lavender Orpington Eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot

They are *resting* and going in my 'bator tonight.

:fl for a good hatch and please may I not kill them after hatch. Amen.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Whew am I whipped!

I've mostly been running on adrenaline the last couple days - and only had a grand total of 6 hours of sleep the past two nights! (that's total, not each night!) :th I've not run on so little sleep since I worked midnights!!

I'm already thinking about what I'm going to take to the next swap, prices I'm going to put on it, and thinking about what do I want to hatch and have ready to go as started birds at the October swap.

It was an awesome weekend!!

I'm totally addicted to Bantam Cochins!! I brought home 3 different types today - One blue Frizzle pair (roo is smooth feathered, hen is Frizzled), 2 pairs of started Mottled Cochins, and one Black Bantam cochin hen with 8 little babies!

I also brought home a pair of magpie ducklings - 1 blue and one silver, three blue and white muscovy ducklings, a pair of Toulouse Goslings :celebrate , 5 Silver Appleyard Ducklings, and I got this great little cage to use for either transporting or displaying at sales! I'm also thinking about trying to make some more cages myself like the one I purchased.

OH! I almost forgot - my favorite find of the day was a pygmy doeling!! she's 4 and a half months old, and she received the official ohiofarmgirl stamp of approval!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We did really well both days - we're pleased, just super exhausted!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
p.s.

- on a side note, I think I'm needing to purchase another incubator............................................................................