Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Lori, that does sound excellent! I used to get wooden crates, they are marvelous. I still have three, two of them are at my house, that DD lives in. We just brought one of them here to make into a goat shelter until the goats outgrow it. All we have to do is reassemble it. The bolts are still at DD's and I keep forgetting about them :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Somewhere in the beginnings of my poultry venture, I missed a very important memo. I imagine that memo must have been worded like this:

In the spirit of "the early bird gets the worm" it is a requirement that all poultry exhibitors and/or vendors and/or purchasers and/or browsers arise at the early hour of 3 am in order to make haste for 3:50 am departure, in hopes of a 4:50 am arrival."

:th

So, we did, got up at 3, left before 4, arrived just before 5, and by 5:30 am we were feeding, watering, cleaning, etc.

I don't get up that early for my HOME chores. :th At home, the birds are lucky to see me by 7 am.

It's at this point I must interject that - I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON.

So, I've got coffee in me, hard boiled egg for breakfast, and I'm trying to curb the instinct to buy some birds......

The only thing I'm really planning to take home, is a trio of Coronation Split Sussex...............................................

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I hate mornings. The ducks think treats are due at sunrise. Grrrrrrrr

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
all y'all need to GET UP! ha!

in my corporate life i couldnt be bothered to get up and be to work at the very early hour of 9:30... but now i'm up with the sun.

but i might go and lay back down... ha ha ha ha ha

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have fun at Mt. Hope today. Wish I could've gone:( Was thinking about sending some stuff, but didn't get it caught up.
Just read the post about the BLRW's. I love them:bow wish I had more than just he one hen that I do have. I have been trying to get some, but really can't afford them and shouldn't buy anymore chickens without cleaning out quite abit.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
OFG "but now i'm up with the sun,
but i might go and lay back down... ha ha ha ha ha"

I get on the "Summer Schedule" up at 5:30 - get busy. Nap at noon. Then up to cook dinner and evening chores. I even had the kids on the schedule when they were little. Back then we had nap mats set up in the basement family room so we could sleep where it was dark and cool after lunch.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I hate mornings. I hate mornings more now that we have broody ducks that wake up at 5:00 wanting FOOD> NOW AND I MEAN NOW DARN IT. Then the rooster starts crowing and the goats start maaaahing and I have to shut them all up so the neighbors don't hate me. I also hate the owl that has shown up in the backyard to nights in a row so that I lie there worrying about the ducks that aren't in the house.....

Coronation Split Sussex-I'll have to look that up!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am NOT a morning person at all and I have a tutorial at 8am starting in September :/ I live just over an hour away from the campus when I'm in the city so I have to be up around 6am. Eek.