Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
rty007 said:
Wifezilla said:
OMG...I am surprised E lets you leave the property :gig
Well.. reading some posts by QA, I am pretty sure it is her, who wears the pants in that family ;)
:ep :th

No, no I really don't "wear the pants" !!! My husband and I are partners, a team, and some days, because we are both still human, we just really get on each others nerves.

I have never wanted it to sound like I wear the pants around here. E's opinion and input is always very important to me. If you think I wear the pants, you should have seen me sneaking those Coronation Split Sussex into the barn, while deciding how to break the news to E that I had purchased more chickens. :gig

And honestly, his first reaction was less than supportive. He was NOT that thrilled that I had bought them. But, the next morning, he came to me and said, "You know, the more I thought about it, you deserved to get yourself those Sussex if you really wanted them since you were selling your own chickens." :love I just love him!!!

His dad always acts like I'm the boss, and if he wants E to go with him somewhere he'll ask me, "Do you care if he rides along?" I don't know how many times I've said, "He didn't lose the ability to think with his own brain just because we married. You can ask him if he wants to go."

I don't know how to explain it more clearly, I guess. Other than, we just pretty much try to mutually respect the other by telling each other what we plan to do, but that's not to be misconstrued as "wearing the pants".

Ask BeccaOh if she thinks I wear the pants - honestly, I think her answer will be, "No, she's just really spoiled!"

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hubby and I both wear the pants. Since we are the same size, it works out really well!

:gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Haflingers are true draft PONIES. Most folks would not recognize them as a pony however because they are plenty big enough for an adult to ride. They are usually pretty calm, EASY keepers (read this get too fat on very little feed) and would do all of the work you would ever need done around there. Also since they are a pony breed they are usually quite long lived with 25 to 30 being a good age to count on.

Personally I LOVE Haflingers, but then again I am and always will be a pony person. Most ponies WILL keep you on your toes however. They are very clever and will always try their hand at second guessing you. You need to keep them busy. The most work the better. If they get bored ... look out. :cool:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gobot/3041551032/

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifey that's funny!!! :gig

Aly, I think you and E have a great relationship. It takes two very strong people to have a strong marriage. :thumbsup

About the Amish, when we were in Mo we looked at a few farms in my Aunties area. My dh really liked their whole set up. The windmill, water storage and beautiful barns really caught his eye. I figured if we found an Amish farm to buy we could "modernize" some things, like indoor water. But also have the Amish way to fall back on if necessary. They are pretty resourceful people.

Your lucky to have friends like them.

gina

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Hubby and I both wear the pants. Since we are the same size, it works out really well!

:gig
:lol: Oh my :lol:

Yes, QA is spoiled, but E is too. :D They both try to get each other what they really want and need when they can. Seems like they do have a pretty strong relationship. And bullheaded he can be, but so can she. ;)

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
About the Amish, when we were in Mo we looked at a few farms in my Aunties area. My dh really liked their whole set up. The windmill, water storage and beautiful barns really caught his eye. I figured if we found an Amish farm to buy we could "modernize" some things, like indoor water. But also have the Amish way to fall back on if necessary. They are pretty resourceful people.

Your lucky to have friends like them.

gina
Most Amish around here do have water plumbed into the house. They just use a gas powered generator to pump the water instead of electric.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
A lot of DH's friends treat our marriage the same way, as if he needs to ask permisison for every little thing. Not true at all. We do discuss all major decisions. For 20 years I've tried to get the message across that we're equal partners but certain friends just don't get it.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
So this morning we woke up EARLY. Original plan was to pick up Amish guy to de-horn Boss....but we've decided NOT to do the de-horning and instead, are still trying to sell him outright.

We told the guy he can keep the ducklings anyway, since we're the ones who changed our minds.

Then we went out to his parents house with him to see the Halflinger.

He's GORGEOUS!! Goes about 13-14 hands (I'll have to find out how to measure him exactly) - definitely bigger than Emmy the mini pony was, but NOT anywhere the size as the Belgians the Amish are using around here - those Belgians are MONSTERS!

Anyway, the halflinger's name is Wright - LOL and he was sooo calm - but did seem a little perturbed about being brought in from the pasture. :rolleyes: Wright let us pet him all over, had no issues with being led around with a hand on his halter - and just stood there as calm as could be checking us out while we checked him out. And boy is he stocky!!! Our Amish friend said, "He's fatter than a pancake right now because he's not been working." But I'm telling you, that wasn't all fat on that pony! He's got a nice broad chest, stocky legs, and a gorgeous long tail.

He's palomino in color - so when we got home this morning and we told the kids we're getting him, DD exclaimed, "He's the same color as Spirit the Horse's Mom!" :lol:

Our Amish friend took time to show us the difference in harness - what we'd need for just work harness (pulling logs, plows, etc) and what we'd need for a cart.

Then I asked about a farrier, because I don't know how (yet) to trim hooves or put on shoes. He said his brother does that kind of thing for $20. We said, "$20 a hoof?" He said, "No, that's for the whole horse, plus another $20 for the set of shoes."

Us: That's it?! $40 to have the hooves trimmed and shoed???
Him: yep.

Am I right in my thinking that this is insanely cheap??!!!

So they will deliver Wright to us when they bring their work horses out in a week or so for the logging job.

Now to get my hands on tack for a halflinger!

Oh, and we might be getting a wood burning cook stove that belongs to our Amish friend's brother in law. :D We asked him to find out how much for it, and he said Ok. We're thinking a head to a summer kitchen....

I'm really thankful for these new friends and Amish connections! :D They are so nice - and the best part of it, their reactions to us not having plumbed water! :lol: ALL of the Amish in our area have plumbed water and don't understand how we don't :gig

No outhouses here!!:gig

Yesterday I re-paired the run to the chicken coop off the back of the cow barn and completely cleaned out and sprayed down the inside to sanitize. Allowed it to air dry, and moved my NHR's and the two BA pullets over to that coop so they're no longer competing with other birds over the feed. Also sanitized the smaller pen inside that coop and moved all of my young LF Cochins in there.

Today, going to finish re-doing pasture fence (we've replaced the wood fence with cattle panels) and work on building another grow out pen for chicks.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
No pictures yet - my camera batteries are dead, and I can't seem to find my charger in this chaos I call home. :rolleyes: