Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So yesterday as I arrive home I do my usual routine which is to deposit the kids at the house, and I quickly skip out to the chicken yard to "look for eggs" which is code for me taking ten minutes of down time before going back in and trying to be a nice wife and mother.
My flock has Marek's and the reality of that is that almost all of them died...but a few survived. Only three hens kept laying. The others didn't die but NO EGGS. My hens all lay in the same nest so to my surprise - there weren't three eggs in there...but five. I looked up real quick thinking my husband was playing a trick on me. Maybe he had planted the eggs for me to find. He was, sure enough grinning from ear to ear. But I looked down again and two of those eggs were a telltale chocolate brown - a sure sign that my marans hens had started laying. So...I know have 15 hens and FIVE hens laying as opposed to three previously.
It is sad...but I will take it. Those were about the prettiest eggs I had ever seen. I gave them all a big handful of BOSS and went inside. I set the eggs up in a bowl on the counter to "just look at". My husband laughs about it but he now knows that when I put them in a pretty bowl it means that I did not forget them on the counter...I am admiring them.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on the eggs! :woot

You should snap a picture and post it! I like egg pictures!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Among my mixed flock I have a Barnevelder and a Welsumer. I thought the Barnevelder laid nice dark eggs, but when the Welsumer started laying last October ... well, I couldn't stop admiring them. They are dark, dark brown with darker speckles on them ... very pretty. Congratulations on the new layers! :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rathbone said:
ORChick - No I have not tried it with the wood ash. .... Can you tell us how you did it? I can of course go google it but it would be more interesting if you tell us...
I wasn't able to find much about using ash; lime is used for the most part. But I did find several sources, though a couple were in books. Here is one - http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/2218-masa-de-ma�z-classic-corn-dough - The next time I do this I will use the lime so that I have a better feel for how things are supposed to feel/look, and then go back to the ash for another try. Part of my problem was also that I had to grind the finished corn in the food processor, and that required too much water to keep the process going. Next time I will use the food grinder to see if that works better.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was walking to work this morning and I had the strangest sensation of 'twixt and 'tween. I had started across the bridge and stopped at the halfway point. California lays behind me, Arizona is spread out before me, the sun is rising gloriously on my right and the moon setting on my left. And under me the water is rolling along. It was a lovely sensation.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
rathbone said:
I was walking to work this morning and I had the strangest sensation of 'twixt and 'tween. I had started across the bridge and stopped at the halfway point. California lays behind me, Arizona is spread out before me, the sun is rising gloriously on my right and the moon setting on my left. And under me the water is rolling along. It was a lovely sensation.
Wow, what a powerful image. There is so much symbolism in that point in time. How beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Marianne ... I just went browsing on your blog. That bit about cutting away the old deadwood friends really struck home. I have been thinking about just that for ... Well for a while now.
I have a friend I have been through the knotholes with. Seriously... I even accidentally burned her house down. And yet we remained tight friends. Now she tells me she loves me but because her life stinks it causes her great pain to hear how happy I am. Sigh. I am just not sure how to take that.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
rathbone said:
Wow, what a powerful image. There is so much symbolism in that point in time. How beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
So... Do any of you take these kind of moments as signs of something greater? (I had the strangest feeling at that moment). Just curious?