Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm odd too. In case anyone hadn't already noticed. But like I like to say: Odd in a good way.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry, computer was down :p Was having some SERIOUS withdrawals! (which, I guess, is NOT very SS of me!)

I had a similar 'feeling' experience this past summer. It was one of those rare times where I felt total peace and a strong connection to things around me. Wanted to just stay in that moment!! :p It gave me clarity in the path I wanted for myself, and a powerful sense that I had chosen well, finally! :)

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got to take my students to a Native event. After lunch they had bird singers and dancers. It was lovely.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One nice thing my company does is the wellness program. I had my blood drawn the other day. They checked my cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose etc. Amazingly (at my weight) I am in great shape. Crazily, my spouse appears to have diabetic level fasting blood sugar. My spouse who is only ten pounds over his recommended weight and who chooses fruit when he feels like he wants a treat. I guess it is just genetic? It still doesn't seem fair, but then since when have things ever been fair?
We will be making some changes. I am still scratching my head as to what those changes might be exactly. We already only eat 100% whole grain bread and tortillas. We did however eat corn tortillas and so I need to find out if those are whole grain or not...suspecting they are not. We will change our rice to brown rice. I have been eating brown rice but the rest of the famiily always ate white rice so that will definitely be changing. He is going to start exercising since I read that in type 2 diabetes, exercise enables the cells to accept the insulin for the time during exercise and up to a few hours afterwards. Lentils and nopales are reported to be super anti-diabetes foods so I guess I will cook those more...seems funny but he and I have been eating lentils and rice for one meal a day this entire week.
It is lunchtime...and I am off to heat my lentils.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I feel like I don't have a ton of amazing new strides I am making in self-sufficiency but I am really proud that the steps we took at first, we are still continuing with. Today I would like to write about "abono" aka chicken poo.
We have so little space to plant and after trying a few different plantings, we decided to focus this year on things that give us the highest yield. Chard came up as number one. Chard nutritionally gives a big bang. It takes up very little space and gives a high yield and so, chard it is. I planted a few different types. One package was marked organic. One package was rainbow chard (gorgeous stuff with red and yellow and orange stems) and one package was labeled rhubarb chard. It looks very similar to the rhubarb I remember picking in Grandma Velva's garden.

This is my main man who is kind enough to collect the abono.
2468_chickendoo.jpg

We are lucky enough to still have tomatoes flowering and putting on fruit.
2468_jitomate.jpg

jitomates

Chard we planted on December 3rd
2468_aselgas1.jpg

Ready for the pot. I love it with vinegar.
2468_aselgas2.jpg

I love the idea that all that gorgeous chard grew in fertilizer I got from my own chickens. We have even been trading poo to the neighbor for lemons. I am rich...rich in chicken doo.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
You are rich indeed! And giving me a major boost in confidence going into my planting! The chard looks beautiful!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever eaten chard. I just might have to buy some to see if I like it.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to admit, I am very envious of your fresh garden veggies right now (especially since I am looking out the window at nothing but heavy, wet white stuff!) On the other hand, come July and August, I don't think I'll envy you one bit ;)

BTW, love your new Avatar photo!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, come summer, no one will be envying me my weather.

I have been picking up my bountiful basket...just curious if any of you do the same? The prices seem good for the amount of produce I get. I ordered an extra box of tomatoes. This means I may have to learn to can them. Wish me luck!