Recipe Organization?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
How do you organize your recipes? I find that I have 2 standby cookbooks... Joy of Cooking and the local one from the church ladies that I grew up with. But what do you do with all of those wonderful clippings from newspapers and magazines? I've just got mine in sheet protectors in a 3 ring binder. The only organization seems to be that the newest ones I found are in the front. I've got Lemon Basil Hummus followed by Smoked Turkey Pot Pie. Help!!! And then I have all of the handwritten ones in a recipe box...

Does anyone have a good on-line system or freeware program that they use? I'm wanting to be more diligent in meal planning and plan a week in advance and then do my preps Sunday afternoon. I'm scanning through a scattered notebook tonight and about ready to tear my hair out.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I use Microsoft One Note. Solves all my problems! I copy in recipes from the internet or just type them in. I make notes every time I use a recipe until I get it perfect. :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
recipezaar.com :)

and if you hurry, they just started their around the world game!!!

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I second Microsoft One Note. I even use it to organize future craft projects that I will probably never do, and my kids homeschooling. I can't say enough about how much I love this program. (Mostly to make my husband feel better about spending the money on Microsoft Office instead of just downloading a free word program off the internet like I told him to do.) Seriously though, I use it on a daily basis. I also store recipes with the websites that I find them in. Each one lets you join for free and store your favorite recipes in your recipe box. I use these for recipes I haven't tried yet but I think look interesting (root-beer pancakes?). Once it passes muster and if we decide it should go into circulation then I will use up memory space and put it into "my" cookbook on One Note. That way I'm not cluttering it up with recipes I'm not sure about but I still know where to go for inspiration when I want something new. I also have an off-computer backup just in case something happens to the recipes on my hard drive. They are all saved at All-recipes.com or in one of my actual cookbooks.

ETA: Before I got One Note I just did everything in Word. I just put each recipe on a seperate word document and then had seperate folders for breads, pork, meat, veggies, etc. all in one master folder for recipes. It worked really well for me and I didn't have to buy a new program.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
one note is nice, but if your computer crashes you lose it all.

does MS offer an online back up for it? it's one reason i like recipezaar so much. i can look up my best recipes from friend's houses to share or cook.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
" I just put each recipe on a separate word document and then had separate folders for breads, pork, meat, veggies, etc. all in one master folder for recipes. It worked really well for me and I didn't have to buy a new program. "

Me too. Some day I'll make a hard copy but the printer doesn't like me anymore. Hubby says I killed it.