rty007 winemaking Q

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In our area of Ontario you might be able to pick up 1 - 2 acres of serviced land for $25,000... more unserviced.

We're on 8.38 acres of land with a fixer-upper farmhouse and paid $161,000

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well.. OK I'll spill the guts ;) I found a nice foreclosure piece of land, it is just over an acre. it has power line up close so connecting won't be a problem, it is CHEAP and I mean CHEAP. BUT there is a catch this acre is a half of 2 acre plot, I did however talk to the guy that takes care of the auction and he said the other half owner wants to get rid of it and possibly quite cheap. It is bordered by a small creak on one side, and a dirt road on the other. it has a good half acre of nice forest. But what is more important it is about 20 miles from the place where I will be studying to get a degree which means that even though it would be HARD to make studying and carrying for some animals, but I think I would be able to pull it off. there is a catch though, it is a farmland which means that you cannot build anything bigger then 35 square meters that is about 350sq ft counting by the outer edge of the building. it is still about 200 ft on the inside making a sleeping loft would up it to about 300 usable ft.. which ain't that bad if you ask me... the smaller the space to clean, the better.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
35 sq meters???

Wow. How are you supposed to put up a barn?

Well, I guess if you put in a basement and had a sleeping loft it would work.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Small homes are cheaper to build, and part of a basement can be made into a root cellar easily enough. The sleeping area above is great in winter, since heat rises anyway.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"old school" way makes the root cellar a separate building which I think is brilliant. The earth on the roof keeps it cool, stone walls make it cool, and you can make a ice room, which is basically a room with some either plastic or ss sealed containers to keep the moisture in, with frozen water, you can freeze the water during the winter. It keeps pretty well. it is very good for storage goodies, aging cheese, you name it.

@ wifezilla...

well it is more complicated:D
we have building plots: you pay annual taxes for the property and anything that is built on it.
then there is farm land. which you cannot build a house on, yet you do not pay any taxes for it, as a matter of fact, you get some money from the government and the European union to cultivate/use the land.

Finally... when you own and/or rent more land then our polish "states" average farm, you can try to get a permit to transform a piece of it into a... well homestead land I think it describes it best, and THEN you can build a house on it.

I do not need a TV-room - I do not watch tv.
I need a place to sleep - that would be the loft
Place to put my computer - also the loft, but on the other end
And a library, to put my books in- that would be a nice cover for the mess in the bedroom and the working are, so it would make a great dividing walls in the loft. shelves for books.

the ground floor would make up of a kitchen, shower/toilet room, utility room, a day/dining room period :)

It would be out of cob, with sheep wool insulation, with some wood heating source. It would be small yet cozy.

Even though I could build it under the limit ad hope nobody would bother, but in reality... it is better to just rent the land or at least on paper rent the land and transform a piece of land to a homestead land, and get a building permission for a house.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
How about "temporary" housing? In some countries they have Granny Flats which are basically small homes that are built on skids instead of a foundation so that they are mobile when necessary. Just bring in a flat bed trailer and haul it off!

Also in this country we have mobile homes or trailer homes that again are easily moved. We also have buildings that are made of tarp covered frames easily dissembled and moved. FarmTek Moo-Tel

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well building a barn would not be a problem at all.

Mobile home is out of the question, I would rather live in a hand built cob/wood house without electricity than in a mobile house.

I have a question to all mothers on this forum, what arguments would get to a resistant, anti-land, anti-agricultural mother, couse I really want to try and sit down with my dear mother, talk to her about it, lay it out in a perfectly calm and concise way.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm not an anti-land mother, but I'm guessing she may enjoy having a nice homemade dinner first. You know, butter her up and all. (Make sure you have brushed your teeth and hair and are wearing clean socks, mums like that sort of thing. ;) )

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Give some thought to what her objections are going to be (you know your mom). Research them so that when she says "how are you going to keep warm in the winter" you are prepared to give her an intelligent answer...not just shrugging your shoulders saying "i'll figure it out"

She will want to know that you are not making an emotional decision. If she feels confident that you have really done your homework, she will be more likely to support you.

And a nice dinner as BBH suggested can't hurt either!