rty007 winemaking Q

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
She was definitely a cool person to grow up with. She did a LOT of my raising. Maybe that is why I love being Self Sufficient?!!

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I have some news, which I kind of forgot to report earlier. For one, I finally got back into the university education system, learning computer science, as we speak ;)

As far as some GOOD news go. I will most likely (99% sure) be getting a very handsome scholarship, which made me face myself, and start pushing as hard as all hell for my dreams of becoming SS. So I decided, to once more start making websites. If any of ya folks are interested... to make a website for your homestead, for selling your produce, or even for your business. I am more then happy to make it happen. I will be charging 250$ for a simple website and up, If any of you are interested;)

On another front... I finally found myself a way to buy a big hunk of pig. I will be getting it at the begging of November. I already found somebody through a website concerning the topic of smoking meats at home, so I asked the guy to lend me his smoker and help me with the process, and he agreed. I am pretty excited about that.

EDIT: I just realized.... is it ok for me to post the "ad"?? if it ain't, a moderator should give me a warning and edit it out.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like you definitely got some wonderful news to share. Congratulations.

I will be looking for some pork really soon too. I do have a local butcher who I will be checking with about it.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Could a mod delete that post, pretty please.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Good luck with it. :fl That would be great and it could be done. Do you have a certain property in mind now? You might find a property with some small building that you could convert to a living space. Then the homesteading fees wouldn't be needed and you could be living there faster. Just a thought.
Straw bale sounds like it is pretty easy to build too.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it would be even more of pain in the backside to change the status of a "outbuilding" to a residential status. And while I sure could live without internet, I DO want to have it! And those desk-rats ain't that dum. They do sniff those kinds of things quite quickly, to bill you, of course. they would sniff out that there is anternet in a place where you really do not need it, so they would come right up. ask neighbors if anyone is living there, then they would just knock on your door and of you pay a mother load of all possible fines.

AND.. hell yeah it is possible, just the execution is what concerns me a tad ;)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I wish there were less restrictions for you about all this. Our zoning rules and building codes vary so much from place to place. They're usually very strict in the city but some very rural areas are barely regulated.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well... since I started pushing... :)

things start to look better by the day. I am right now, 99% sure I will be able to "lend" 1/4 of an acre to go wild with... I was asking myself, what should I plant. I will not be, or will be paying a REALLY small amount, maybe even in produce.

I was thinking:
-tomatoes (for sauces mainly, I am not a huge fan of them in their raw form, maybe a thin slice on a sandwich)
-cucumbers (pickling, fresh, you name it;) )
-peppers (drying, freezing, fresh)
-zucchini ( drying )
-cabbage (just a couple heads for making sauerkraut and gołąbki)
-lettuce (succession planting for fresh heads)
-broccoli (mostly drying)
-a poop load of herbs both medicinal and culinary
-radishes
-maybe some flowers for obtaining scents for goatmilk homemade soap.
-then the 3 sisters
-and I know I will be hated by all, and will get a slap on the head... I KNOW so get a number ;) but some tobacco. (I am not a cig smoker, I do however enjoy lighting a pipe from time to time.)

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well... very long time, absolutely no see.. I know :p I promise to improve ;)

I got a question, for you all cooking folks.
Since I will be starting a lose-some weight action in 2 days. Which will mainly consist of limiting beers ( yeah I know... to much of that lately) and moving my lazy fat ass more...
But I was wondering if it would be possible to do something more about it... and I had a epiphany... heck yeah, you carb loving, bread eating, lazy... Anyways, I realized that I DO eat bread nearly every day, so I started thinking, what could satisfyingly substitute bread(which is something a breakfast is not a breakfast without it) and I came up with tortillas.
I roamed the shelves of a nearest market and I simply went... holy crap are they expensive. I mean... seriously? Knowing that they mainly consist of: wheat, water and salt. I decided, heck, I'll buy them once and If I'll like them tortilla wraps, I will go ahead and try doing em myself.
So I did buy them and I did wrap them and I did like em. So I am on a mission to change my morning routine to eating tortillas instead of bread now. Even better in the past I had a habit of eating a big meal in the morning. so it was basically...
morning: dinner
afternoon: breakfast ( a fruit salad, a soup, something light basically...)
evening: Maybe a little bit of leftovers from the morning, but more likely just a cookie, yogurt... again something light.
This gave me a real kick in the morning, and having a big meal upfront I wasn't so keen on snacking some junk during the day, then I changed the habit and gained quite a bit of weight.

So, will you help me?
I was wondering if any one of you folks, had a good tortilla recipe? how often do you make em, can you store em in the fridge/freeze them use later? if so, how long do they store?

Dooley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi!

I don't have a recipe for tortillas, but my dad used to make them a lot. I think you need a tortilla press. Or maybe that's only if you're making corn tortillas.

Yes, you can freeze them. They keep well frozen, and are quick and easy to defrost. When short of bread, my family has used them as a replacement. Not as tasty for a ham sandwich (we use only the corn ones) but it works, and I enjoyed it.