rty007 winemaking Q

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, it is me again.
For a longer period, this time around. I finally found inner piece with all that is happening around, and in my life. So the decision has been made. I even made a small, so it wont really hurt, if I back out of it. But still a prepayment ( or whatever you call it, a payment, that you make, when you put in a small amount before buying something) on land. The guy didn't want to sell the land right out, due to some government, agricultural subsidies. Anyways, it is a 2,4ha which makes it about 6 ac. It is pretty far from any bigger roads. Huge, huge forest areas are just about 2km from where hopefully the house will be standing. So mushroom hunting, blackberries, cranberries, pine shoots, herbs, and all the other good stuff, will be mine.
I am buying it out in the middle of march, hopefully I will get all the building permits until June/July. Then a strawbale house will be build with a bunch of friends, a bunch of them already lined up to help. Planting fruit trees, pastures, hedges will happen at the begging of may. Maybe a small garden will be planted then too, but I am not sure it will survive twice a week visits, wont hurt to try tho. Strange feeling of rush, and happiness, I mean I still don't have a ownership dead(is it what you call the piece of paper that makes you the owner?), and I am already planing out the whole thing... pond, greenhouse, pasture, barn, gardens, herb garden, root celar, even freaking paths... I just hope, my head wont explode when the time comes... I am really excited about it all.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
About other wonderful news.
I got my dear Ma into gardening, I was really sneaky on that one :D So I actually get a tiny little spark of support somewhere there behind a huge pile of ranting about it, when I mention the feeling that I wanna move the heck out into the country.

Besides, I think I am going all loony here, couse I am drooling over catalogs of heirloom fruit trees already. All the varieties that I've chosen so far were established pre 1900 so a tradition of more then a hundred years. I mean is it great or what? I mean everything is falling into place
-I am getting some mental support from the family
-I already talked to a uncle of mine, who is running a chicken fertilized egg farm. And he said, I could probably get a couple dozen eggs every now and then for a small fee or just a sixpack of beer :D
-I talked to the neighbor of that lot I am planing to buy, who is running a herd of diary cows. And he was extatic to get a client outside of the major diaries, couse they pay like absolute crap these days. So I will have milk that is from cows, I would have raised pretty much the same way.
-I mean I made a general scout of the area, and tho being clothed like a typical city rat which I am, so the neighbors talked to me with a huge "what the hell do you want city boy"attitude at first, gradually changed they minds as we talked, and it seems we are gonna get along just fine :)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Going loony over seed or plant catalogs is normal for us here. There is something special about the old varieties.
Good idea, getting your Mom started gardening. The seed of acceptance is planted. People that don't garden have a hard time understanding why you would want to farm.
Cool on the fresh milk connection. I'm a little jealous now.
:thumbsup

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sounds like things really are coming together. Congratulations!

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The plans were coming together until the guy called and said that he is thinking about backing out of the deal, and that he is probably going to give the money back some time soon. But I told myself, hells NO! I aint gonna give up now. So I went to see another property, It is just wonderful. I mean Trying to pretend not being as excited about it as I was in front of the Realtor was freaking hard let me tel you :D

They want a tad more for it, but it is still up for negotiation. It is bigger 8,7ha(20ac) with a small wood with a pond for some piggies and ducks. Loads of lush green land for them shieppies and a beautiful house full of history, built back in 1926

And I am thinking very strongly about taking it. I do have to go at least one more time there tho to get a look inside the house and walk around to talk to the neighbors.

Among other plans moving along.
-I talked to a buddy of mine running a company which goes through quite a lot of pallets, and he said that I can get all their damaged pallets after winter. He said they usually haul out a truckload. I am very much fine with that. Truckload of free timber for raised beds and what not.
-I am in contact with a bunch of rare varieties of fruit trees and shrubs collectors. And so far, most of they having heard my story, that I am a young lad planning to start a small farm, most of them said they will give me small trees for close to nothing. Yaaay :)
-I have a pretty hard time finding heirloom veg seeds. So I was thinking about getting some one the sites you all folks use sch as bakerscreak or something.

No going back now.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
If you did decide to use Baker Creek it would be like a full circle - some of their seed originally came from Europe, Russia and other "exotic to us" places.

I hope you find just the right fit in some good land. :thumbsup

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It really is amazing, how hard it is to find a decent land. When the location is good, the land itself is of poor quality.

But that is not why I am writing, I was wondering. was there a thread about blogs you all folks follow?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congratulations!! I can feel the excitement in your words . I have to admit I'm a bit jealous.

sounds like your on your way.

G