Seed grown fruit trees

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Going to follow your lead. Where do I fund 'fresh' almonds tho? (Live in MS).
Great for almonds, walnuts, plums and cherry but locals think I'm loco for wanting to grow these, let alone from seed!
If no one in the area grows them, look for raw nuts in your grocery store or order them online. Mine came from my tree in Utah so they're used to entirely different conditions. Some were a gift. If you can't find any, IM your address and I'll send you some.
20240925_172001.jpg

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Locols think I'm loco for planting fruit trees as well. "Nobody" tries to grow fruit trees here, and from seed? Horrors.

"Don't you know those won't germinate?"

"I have grown them."

"They won't survive here."

I point to baby trees.

"Well, then they won't fruit. Trees have to be grafted to get fruit."

"I've gotten fruit from seed grown trees before (long story that everyone thinks is boring)."

"It won't be good fruit, and spring will kill all the blossoms. You might get fruit one year out of 10."

BTW, I've had almost the identical conversation with dozens of people, from orchard owners on down and in both places I've lived.

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Almond x peach. Peach form from an almond seed. There was a nectarine about 20 feet from the almond at my old house, so I run across these periodically.
20240925_174055.jpg

The hope would be to get an edible pit peach, but likely it will be a bitter almond with bad flesh. :) We'll see.

RoseTeas

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My locals think I'm loco for having goats. I just smile, drink fresh milk and eat homemade cheeses. šŸ„°. If your weather & soil will let those trees survive, just smile as they walk by, hungry.
Okay. What breed of goat do you have? I'm 65 and not naturally strong... but won't hesitate to use tools/skills to compensate. However, have been concerned about milk goats having a 'fragile' reputation.
If no one in the area grows them, look for raw nuts in your grocery store or order them online. Mine came from my tree in Utah so they're used to entirely different conditions. Some were a gift. If you can't find any, IM your address and I'll send you some.View attachment 27152
Thank you.
You mentioned goats. What breed do you have? And are milk goats as 'fragile' vs just need a bit more 'hands on' attention?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okay. What breed of goat do you have? I'm 65 and not naturally strong... but won't hesitate to use tools/skills to compensate. However, have been concerned about milk goats having a 'fragile' reputation
I raise Saanen, Saanen/Nubian cross for dairy. I don't consider them fragile. They do take an amount of human consideration for good health and handling for purpose. They are large goats but, kind and smart. I'm handling mine just fine and way older than you. However, I am in excellent health and active. So for, let's say 3, you would have no problem. Saanen are docile natured, quiet and gentled as kids, easy to maintain as adults. My dairy girls that are milked respond to their names, come when called. They are milked in a set order and know their place in line. The milk is awesome!!

Boer are the meat goats I raise. Large but a gentle nature. It's a farm income consideration. Any goat can be used for meat, just a difference in quantity, quality and sales.

That's the end of this book. :lol:

RoseTeas

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I raise Saanen, Saanen/Nubian cross for dairy. I don't consider them fragile. They do take an amount of human consideration for good health and handling for purpose. They are large goats but, kind and smart. I'm handling mine just fine and way older than you. However, I am in excellent health and active. So for, let's say 3, you would have no problem. Saanen are docile natured, quiet and gentled as kids, easy to maintain as adults. My dairy girls that are milked respond to their names, come when called. They are milked in a set order and know their place in line. The milk is awesome!!

Boer are the meat goats I raise. Large but a gentle nature. It's a farm income consideration. Any goat can be used for meat, just a difference in quantity, quality and sales.

That's the end of this book. :lol:
Would you instruct/point the direction to finding 'healthy' folks that raise these goats. I lack a starting point.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Google Saanen for sale. Registered stock just gives you lineage....some farms are better than others. Good health and trained to milk is great. I no longer register all of mine. I'm looking for structure, health, good milk or good meat. šŸ¤· No longer trying to show. General info at this site.
Many goats milk well. Breed chosen is a personal choice.
www.saanenbreeders.org

Last edited:

Latest posts