The FDA May Change HFCS Name to Corn Sugar

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/fo...h-fructose-corn-syrup-name-to-corn-sugar.html

The FDA is currently taking comments as to whether to change the name high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) to corn sugar. The Corn Refiner's Association is lobbying hard for the name change because more and more people are refusing to buy products with HFCS in them. As a result, many food manufacturers have stopped using HFCS and replaced it with sugar. This is also a result of the sky rocketing price of corn. The cost of corn has shot up nearly 50 percent in the past couple of months.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been seeing television ads talking about corn sugar saying sugar is sugar and your body doesn't know the difference.

Is there a differecne between corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup?

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think this has already occurred... I saw something awhile back that said "corn sugar" in the ingredients and got a good chuckle out of it. :/

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't see it making any difference. Anyone that is used to checking the label for HFCS is going to check for corn sugar too.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
A rose by any other name.....

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Today, I noticed on an box of "healthy" snacks a "MADE WITH NO HFCS" emblazoned in big letters across the front of the box. The first two were composite ingredients, the third was "corn syrup". :p

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
This is big business fighting back against us little people boycotting their poison. Now we just have to keep up the pressure and not buy anything with "corn sugar" in it. A lot of processed foods have changed from listing HFCS to just regular corn syrup. Not a lot better!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Corn syrup, HFCS, Corn sugar. All the same thing.

The FDA has no business even spending time on this, it is a waste of time. Just a dumb and completely meaningless marketing ploy by an industry that is too stupid to get that people don't want their product no matter what they call it.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
They had some guy on the radio about 4 months ago talking about it. He was a scientist and and he was against it. As was stated it's exactly the same stuff. It's just concentrated sugar extracted from corn. Fructose is in all fruit. When it's made in to juice it is much more concentrated and doesn't have the fiber that makes fruit digest differently than fruit juice.

I think it's funny that they can change the name and most people are back at square one again. I saw a commercial advertising corn sugar. Had a farmer actor in front of a corn field with an ear of corn talking about how good and natural it is. Sounds like the FDA already approved it to me.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
And this is a suprise? They did the same thing with labelling MSG and now it goes by a half a frickin million different names on labels. I'm not suprised at all.