The FDA May Change HFCS Name to Corn Sugar

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Even I occasionally eat corn. Organic. Fresh off the ear. Loaded with butter :D

Big difference between that and the highly processed corn. That is basically "pre-chewed". Your body doesn't have to spend much time and energy breaking it down. Hence fat rats, fat cats, and fat dogs since most pet food is based on corn.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
fat dogs are because of people feeding them excess in general

I never saw a fat dog on "dog food" out on a chain in the yard that isn't exercised daily

remember "the fat" dogs are fed "way more" than just dog food lol

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Plain corn syrup is mainly glucose with some dextrose in there too.
My dear WZ,
Please, please, in clear chemical structure and nomenclature explain the difference between glucose and dextrose. :lol:

While I admit it has been many years since I took organic chemistry, or biochemistry in medical school, there never was a difference then. What is that difference now, pray tell? :th

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Corn based dog food can lead to fat dogs even with exercise UNLESS you severely restrict food intake. I had a friend with a fat dog that was feeding them expensive, vet recommended dog food. No treats, no people food, carefully measured. The dog just died of a heart problem. She was 9.

That is just one example.

Here is another. 2 dogs, same owner, same feed, same size, fed same amounts. One was fat. The other was trim. Both exercised the same amount in a big back yard. The fat one died of liver cancer. The thinner dog, that looked as healthy as could be died a year later of the same thing. Both were on a corn based diet.

Our Irish Setter hated her dog food and used to go catch her own prey. She would only eat the food if she couldn't get her own bunnies or birds. Even though she was very trim and muscular and got a LOT of exercise (she loved to run), she developed fat cysts.

"CORN For some dogs, corn is difficult to digest and can be allergenic. Recently some dog food companies have set about defending their use of corn as a good carbohydrate source for dogs. What they have not addressed is corn metabolizes in dogs much the same way as sugar metabolizes in people. So, when you feed your dog a corn-based diet, its like feeding a child a diet thats main ingredient is corn syrup. The child is likely going to exhibit dramatic energy spurts and crashes, hyperactivity, lack of attention, and is not going to be very healthy overall. The same is true of dogs on a corn-based diet.

In addition, corn may inhibit your dog's natural ability to receive seratonin in the brain. Seratonin is an important chemical that reduces stress and anxiety. Recent studies suggest that low seratonin levels can lead to impuslive behavior, aggression and other behavioral problems.

Corn can also act as an artificial stool hardener. One of the quickest ways to tell that your dog is sick is the consistency of his or her stools. If the ingredients in your dog's food are falsely making the stools firm, you may delay seeking important medical treatment for your dog."
http://www.4pawsu.com/dogfood.htm

Not all calories are created equal. Remember, a diet high in corn is what is used to fatten cattle. Is it really a surprise that corn and corn products can fatten dogs, cats, rats and people too?

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Please, please, in clear chemical structure and nomenclature explain the difference between glucose and dextrose
"Two stereoisomers (isomeric molecules whose atomic connectivity is the same but whose atomic arrangement in space is different.) of the aldohexose sugars are known as glucose, only one of which (D-glucose) is biologically active. This form (D-glucose) is often referred to as dextrose monohydrate, or, especially in the food industry, simply dextrose (from dextrorotatory glucose[1])....L-glucose, cannot be metabolized by cells in the biochemical process known as glycolysis."

"The two also have the same chemical formula C6H12O6 making them practically the same. This formula means that glucose and dextrose are hexoses 6 hydrogen atoms are linked to 12 hydrogen atoms and further bounded with 6 more oxygen atoms. This is the tricky part since there can be different manners in which the said atoms are bound. The end result is the formation of distinct chemical compounds that have their own respective (unique chemical properties) and behave differently from other compound formations. Glucose is an aldohexose while dextrose is the name given to a glucose monohydrate compound. Aldohexose have compounds known as aldehydes that are placed at the premiere position of the molecule. Aldehydes appear as a carbon atom linked to a hydrogen atom and, at the other side, double linked to another oxygen atom. Therefore, the dextrose and glucose have different atomic arrangement in space and may appear as mirror images to one another."

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-glucose-and-dextrose/#ixzz1FeKqgPsA

I will pretend I didn't notice all the laughing smiley's meant to imply I am a moron :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can not say at age 9 a dog died from food related problems.
I can't go there with ya...lol

my dogs were fed on "regular old cheap dog food" and all lived "PAST" their age limits. Collie on food plus "scraps" age 15.....AUS shepard on same age 16.

If you jump to aged 9 dog dies from heart problems and say that "is food related" I sure can not agree in any way.

No proof or anything cause MANY a dog in this world has proven this "theory" wrong.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The child is likely going to exhibit dramatic energy spurts and crashes, hyperactivity, lack of attention, and is not going to be very healthy overall. The same is true of dogs on a corn-based diet.
I had a post written before and deleted. With wifey's statement, I feel I should say it anyways. You all can say HFCS in moderation all you want. For me and mine, I will not have it in my house ever agian. WZ's statement, above, was my son. He was never adhd, but had attention problems, hyperactive at times and did poorly in school. He had a difficult time keeping friends.

Thanks to this forum and some knowledgeable members, I cut out all HFCS. The impact on my son was almost immediate. That was about a year and a half ago. He is now an A and B student, taking academic in highschool. He has had the same friends for over a year, and making new ones. This is major. He was never overweight , and generally healthy, but I can speculate that if I continued to buy products containing HFCS, that would deteriorate in time. I can tell when he has had a pop, which he occasionally does, even though I no longer buy it. I got rid of all the crap in all our diets, but it has had the greatest effect on my son. So, if you want to do it in moderation, go ahead. The stuff is poison, plain and simple from my first ahnd experience.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my kid eats HFCS and family and others do use HFCS and DO WELL with no adverse effects.

so I have said this tons of time, what works for your physical body is important, the old "eliminate and effect" issue......but it does not mean it effects everyone.

My kid is an A student on HFCS lol

it isn't poison it is individual how it reacts with yoru body.

but yes, many do not know if "any problems" that can be corrected are food related. You would think we would go that way in finding why "a person" is "off" but food I think doesn't come into play as much, cause people truly don't think about what they eat. or at least a cause of what they eat might be a problem

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Farmerchick, you can have my share of the hfcs. And my sons', my husband's, the cats'.......

Some people are "genetically blessed" and do have the ability to absorb a great deal of damage. Others get damage and don't see it, so as long as they are skinny, they don't worry about it until it bites them in the but.

Research GLYCATION sometime when you are in a nerdy mood. Fructose plays a big role. One of the effects of glycation (besides wrinkles) is joint damage.

"This study demonstrates that long-term fructose feeding accelerates aging as expressed by changes in various age-related markers measured in collagen from skin and bones. The focus on collagen is warranted because collagen is present ubiquitously, accounts for as much as 30% of body proteins, mainly in the extracellular matrix, and provides the basic functional properties of most vulnerable tissues such as renal basement membrane, the cardiovascular system and retinal capillaries. "
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/9/1442.full

"The term glycation refers only to this initial step, a sugar molecule attaching to a protein, and this part of the process is reversibleif blood-sugar levels are low enough, the sugar and protein will disengage, and no damage will be done. If blood sugar is elevated, however, then the process of forming an advanced glycation end-product will move forward. The protein and its accompanying glycated sugars will undergo a series of reactions and rearrangements until the process culminates in the convoluted form of an advanced glycation end-product. These AGEs will then bind easily to other AGEs and to still more proteins through a process known as cross-linkingthe sugars hooked to one protein will bridge to another protein and lock them together. Now proteins that should ideally have nothing to do with each other will be inexorably joined.

In the mid-1970s, Rockefeller University biochemist Anthony Cerami and Frank Bunn independently recognized that AGEs and glycation play a major role in diabetes.*56 Both Cerami and Bunn were initially motivated by the observation that diabetics have high levels of an unusual form of hemoglobin the oxygen-carrying protein of red blood cellsknown as hemoglobin A1c, a glycated hemoglobin. The higher the blood sugar, the more hemoglobin molecules undergo glycation, and so the more hemoglobin A1c can be found in the circulation. Ceramis laboratory then developed an assay to measure hemoglobin A1c, speculating correctly that it might be an accurate reflection of the diabetic state. Diabetics have two to three times as much hemoglobin A1c in their blood as nondiabetics, a ratio that apparently holds true for nearly all glycated proteins in the body. (The best determination of whether diabetics are successfully controlling their blood sugar comes from measuring hemoglobin A1c, because it reflects the average blood sugar over a month or more.)

Since 1980, AGEs have been linked directly to both diabetic complications and aging itself (hence the acronym). AGEs accumulate in the lens, cornea, and retina of the eye, where they appear to cause the browning and opacity of the lens characteristic of senile cataracts. AGEs accumulate in the membranes of the kidney, in nerve endings, and in the lining of arteries, all tissues typically damaged in diabetic complications. Because AGE accumulation appears to be a naturally occurring process, although it is exacerbated and accelerated by high blood sugar, we have evolved sophisticated defense mechanisms to recognize, capture, and dispose of AGEs. But AGEs still manage to accumulate in tissues with the passing years, and especially so in diabetics, in whom AGE accumulation correlates with the severity of complications.

One protein that seems particularly susceptible to glycation and cross-linking is collagen, which is a fundamental component of bones, cartilage, tendons, and skin. The collagen version of an AGE accumulates in the skin with age and, again, does so excessively in diabetics. This is why the skin of young diabetics will appear prematurely old, and why, as the Case Western University pathologist Robert Kohn first suggested, diabetes can be thought of as a form of accelerated aging, a notion that is slowly gaining acceptance. Its the accumulation and cross-linking of this collagen version of AGEs that causes the loss of elasticity in the skin with age, as well as in joints, arteries, and the heart and lungs.

The process can be compared to the toughening of leather. Both the meat and hide of an old animal are tougher and stiffer than those of a young animal, because of the AGE-related cross-linking that occurs inevitably with age. As Cerami explains, the aorta, the main artery running out of the heart, is an example of this stiffening effect of accumulated and cross-linked AGEs. If you remove the aorta from someone who died young, says Cerami, you can blow it up like a balloon. It just expands. Let the air out, it goes back down. If you do that to the aorta from an old person, its like trying to inflate a pipe. It cant be expanded. If you keep adding more pressure, it will just burst. That is part of the problem with diabetes, and aging in general. You end up with stiff tissue: stiffness of hearts, lungs, lenses, joints.... Thats all caused by sugars reacting with proteins.

AGEs and the glycation process also appear to play at least one critical role directly in heart disease, by causing the oxidation of LDL particles and so causing the LDL and its accompanying cholesterol to become trapped in the artery wall, which is an early step in the atherosclerotic process. Oxidized LDL also appears to be resistant to removal from the circulation by the normal mechanisms, which would also serve to increase the LDL levels in the blood. As it turns out, LDL is particularly susceptible to oxidation by reactive oxygen species and to glycation.*57 In this case, both the protein portion and the lipid portion (the cholesterol and the fats) of the lipoprotein are susceptible. These oxidized LDL particles appear to be markedly elevated in both diabetics and in nondiabetics with atherosclerosis, and are particularly likely to be found in the atherosclerotic lesions themselves.

That glycation and AGEs are critical factors in diabetic complications and in heart disease has recently been demonstrated by experiments with compounds known as anti-AGE compounds or AGE breakers. These will reverse arterial stiffness, at least in laboratory animals, and, as one recent report put it, ameliorate the adverse cardiovascular and [kidney-related] changes associated with aging, diabetes and hypertension. Whether these or similar compounds will work in humans remains to be seen.

When biochemists discuss oxidative stress, glycation, and the formation of advanced glycation end-products, they often compare whats happening to a fire simmering away in our circulation. The longer the fire burns and the hotter the flame, the more damage is done. Blood sugar is the fuel. Current evidence points to glucose not only as the bodys main short-term energy source, as the American Diabetes Association recently put it, but also as the long-term fuel of diabetes complications.

But there is no reason to believe that glucose-induced damage is limited only to diabetics, or to those with metabolic syndrome, in whom blood sugar is also chronically elevated. Glycation and oxidation accompany every fundamental process of cellular metabolism. They proceed continuously in all of us. Anything that raises blood sugarin particular, the consumption of refined and easily digestible carbohydrateswill increase the generation of oxidants and free radicals; it will increase the rate of oxidative stress and glycation, and the formation and accumulation of advanced glycation end-products. This means that anything that raises blood sugar, by the logic of the carbohydrate hypothesis, will lead to more atherosclerosis and heart disease, more vascular disorders, and an accelerated pace of physical degeneration, even in those of us who never become diabetic." - Gary Taubes, Good Calories Bad Calories

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Please, please, in clear chemical structure and nomenclature explain the difference between glucose and dextrose
"Two stereoisomers (isomeric molecules whose atomic connectivity is the same but whose atomic arrangement in space is different.) of the aldohexose sugars are known as glucose, only one of which (D-glucose) is biologically active. This form (D-glucose) is often referred to as dextrose monohydrate, or, especially in the food industry, simply dextrose (from dextrorotatory glucose[1])....L-glucose, cannot be metabolized by cells in the biochemical process known as glycolysis."

"The two also have the same chemical formula C6H12O6 making them practically the same. This formula means that glucose and dextrose are hexoses 6 hydrogen atoms are linked to 12 hydrogen atoms and further bounded with 6 more oxygen atoms. This is the tricky part since there can be different manners in which the said atoms are bound. The end result is the formation of distinct chemical compounds that have their own respective (unique chemical properties) and behave differently from other compound formations. Glucose is an aldohexose while dextrose is the name given to a glucose monohydrate compound. Aldohexose have compounds known as aldehydes that are placed at the premiere position of the molecule. Aldehydes appear as a carbon atom linked to a hydrogen atom and, at the other side, double linked to another oxygen atom. Therefore, the dextrose and glucose have different atomic arrangement in space and may appear as mirror images to one another."

http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-glucose-and-dextrose/#ixzz1FeKqgPsA

I will pretend I didn't notice all the laughing smiley's meant to imply I am a moron :rolleyes:
Wifezilla said:
Plain corn syrup is mainly glucose with some dextrose in there too.
L-Glucose does not occur naturally , but can be synthesized in the laboratory. but cannot be used by living organisms as source of energy because it cannot be phosphorylated by hexokinase, the first enzyme in the glycolysis pathway.

OK so where is the L-glucose coming from in the corn syrup? I'm still confused here. :idunno