The FDA May Change HFCS Name to Corn Sugar

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
And this is a suprise? They did the same thing with labelling MSG and now it goes by a half a frickin million different names on labels. I'm not suprised at all.
No surprise at all. Just have to keep up on this stuff.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
They had some guy on the radio about 4 months ago talking about it. He was a scientist and and he was against it. As was stated it's exactly the same stuff. It's just concentrated sugar extracted from corn. Fructose is in all fruit. When it's made in to juice it is much more concentrated and doesn't have the fiber that makes fruit digest differently than fruit juice.

I think it's funny that they can change the name and most people are back at square one again. I saw a commercial advertising corn sugar. Had a farmer actor in front of a corn field with an ear of corn talking about how good and natural it is. Sounds like the FDA already approved it to me.
I try to tell the Agave fans this as well. Pure fructose that assaults the liver.
And don't get me started on babies that are given full bottles of juice to drink every day :th

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States.

"Some people have claimed that high-fructose corn syrup is no different than other sweeteners when it comes to weight gain and obesity, but our results make it clear that this just isn't true, at least under the conditions of our tests," said psychology professor Bart Hoebel, who specializes in the neuroscience of appetite, weight and sugar addiction. "When rats are drinking high-fructose corn syrup at levels well below those in soda pop, they're becoming obese -- every single one, across the board. Even when rats are fed a high-fat diet, you don't see this; they don't all gain extra weight.""
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/index.xml?section=topstories

As for kids with constant juice intake....holy cow!!! I have a friend with a granddaughter and the kid is either drinking apple juice or eating some kind of processed grains. And they wonder why the kid is so hyper!!?!?!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use products with HFCS and no problems here. I don't care if they call it corn sugar LOL

moderation is all...when you make a diet of processed crap for every meal in life then you are going to have problems. moderation to me is key when deciding how you want to eat.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
There must be a difference between HFCS and corn syrup, because they're listed seperately on ingredients. I'm not saying corn syrup is good for you, but there must be some sort of difference.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I agree with FarmerChick.Moderation is the way.If you ate home grown lettuce until it ran out your ears,you would probably experience some health problems.

Everyone treats HFCS as if it's some kind of poison,like cigarettes or drugs.I don't see any problems with it if you don't overdo it.

People get fat because they have no self control,sit on their a$$e$,and shove as much food and drink as they can down their pie hole.Since the invention of the remote control,they don't get any exercise.

Rats eat this or that and get overweight,live in little cages and are fed anything they will eat,as much as they will eat.Is it any wonder they get fat?

Remember,we ain't rats!

Andy J

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well Andy, there is several years of research showing that prejudice is not backed up by science.

Not all calories act on the same pathways. Not all calories are created equal. Weight gain is a SYMPTOM of a metabolic disturbance and not a cause. The exercise as a cure for obesity also doesn't hold up to scrutiny. This is especially true in areas where there is rampant poverty, lots of physical labor combined with malnutrition.

If you really want to know the science behind weight gain, weight loss, and the dietary disaster that is the modern American diet, you could read the book "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Just a warning, it is written for graduate students so it is not an easy read.

He does have a free lecture that can does outline some of the concepts...
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_details.php?webcastid=21216

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that people LIKE hating fat people. It is easier to heap derision and disdain on those seen as weak or having no self control. It is the last safe harbor for hatred and discrimination despite the fact that the medical advice they are getting, the medications they are prescribed, and the foods they are told to eat is what is making them fat and sick in the first place.

If you starve a fat person to make them thin, they are still fat inside. Their internal organs are still loaded with fat, their abdomen is packed with fat, their arteries are loaded with fat and their muscles are weak and deteriorated. They may look healthy, but they are not, are likely to gain even more than they initially lost, and have set themselves up for more heart disease, cancer, and even mental health issues. (Google Ancel Keys Minnesota Starvation Study for details)

As for using rats in studies, they, like human are omnivores. They have similar dietary needs and react in many similar ways. Initial rats studies are used to gather information and then perform further human studies. Human studies are MUCH MORE expensive and time consuming.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Uhm I have rats, in a VERY large ferret cage, their rat-lab pellets are mainly comprised of corn and soy (don't yell at me please, when you have 4 rats you have to think of cost, plus there's not much in the way of rat nutrition) and they are F A T. Whether they are free fed or put on a diet, they are blubbery sacks with arms and a tail sticking out. They have wheels and like I said, a huge cage to chase eachother around in.

Oh but wait, they are fed corn and soy...what's that about moderation and excercise again? Pretty sure I just proved (home experiment) that corn and soy (which there are hfcs and corn syrups in their food) make you fat!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And so no one jumps my case, I mean diets high in corn and soy. Everyone likes an ear of corn now and then, go ahead, yum!