The mentality of some people!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I have been VERY fortunate in having a wife that also enjoys my/our toys, at least for the most part. She LOVED the Harley, and the JetSki's, but wasn't really crazy about me driving a sub-9 second drag race car, 'specially with me having a bad heart. :D But the doctors OK'd me and I never died behind the wheel! :lol:
Thank GOD we both kinda saw what was coming a few years ago and got our financial stuff in order, got the mortgage paid off, sold the Harley(got tired of feeling like a target)sold the race car to pay off the HELOC, so now all we have are the utilities and insurance. :clap
Honestly, I have no problem with the toys. I LOVE the 4-wheeler. We also use it on a regular basis (as a work horse as well as a play toy). In fact, I plan on purchasing another used one later. I just don't like using credit/loans to get these toys. I'm not a fan of owing anybody anything, banks and individuals. I'm fine with helping others out or whatever, but I like doing it on my own, not being forced to out of debts. I also like shopping around and finding a good deal, and loans/credit are a bite in the ass, not a good deal. :/

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
We have tons of toys. My hubby and I are toy people BUT we pay them off rather quickly. It ALL COMES down to: can you afford it for me.
Here is how I look at it...

If I can afford it, I can pay cash for it. If I can't pay cash for it, I obviously can't afford it.

Anything worth having is worth saving up for. If I'm not willing to save up for it, I must not want it quite badly enough.

Cash is king.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buster said:
Here is how I look at it...

If I can afford it, I can pay cash for it. If I can't pay cash for it, I obviously can't afford it.

Anything worth having is worth saving up for. If I'm not willing to save up for it, I must not want it quite badly enough.

Cash is king.
VERY beautifully put! I also like to wait when I want something that I CAN afford, but is a higher end purchase ($100 or so). Then I can really think things over for awhile, and decide if I really want/need it or not. A lot of the time, I'll back out of it, because I do just fine without it.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find it even helps to use real cash, especially when paying for a toy.

When I start laying those hundreds on the counter, one at a time, one after another, seems like each one gets just a little heavier. By the time I am done, it is like everything is happening in slow motion.

If I can bring myself to plop down that last couple of bills, then yeah, I really wanted that toy! :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I like saving up for my toys also. And paying real cash. I may save up for something for a year or more. You really know that you want it, you really appreciate it and it feels great to know it is really yours.
That is MY rototiller, keep your hands off!!! :lol:

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I had a long post typed out, but decided it would be too de-railing. Just be careful if the two of you have different views of the uses of money or credit.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Just be clear, that he is what he is. If you go into a marriage with him don't get frustrated in 5 yrs when you are still trying to train him and he is still resistant.

Also a Dr Laura fan ;)

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Buster said:
People can change.

Not at all a Dr. Laura fan.

:)
People can change if they decide to.

They can't be changed by someone else.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It would be truly sad if before a possible marriage the first thoughts are to change the person you are marrying lol