tips on cooking tenderized round beef steaks please...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Not sure, the package only said "tenderized round steaks". :hu (Sorry, I don't know a cut of beef from a hole in the ground.)

From what I've gathered, it needs to slow cook, say 1 1/2-3 hours.

I did find a recipe for "Swiss steaks" when looking up a recipe. So maybe it is aka Swiss steak.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the wording is kind of misleading isn't it, makes it sound as if they are already tenderized,but that can't be can it?

I think the swiss steak idea is a great one, as the acid in the tomatoes will help tenderize the meat as will the low and slow cooking. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do they look....um...round, with no marbling and almost no fat on the outside? Yes, you will want to use a slow cooking method with moisture or they will get dry and tough. Any stew would be good, too. Or any crock-pot type recipe.

Maybe you could use a hay box, like in Little Heathens!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am by no means a meat expert, but.....here's some meat info.

I did look in an old cookbook that shows where the cuts come from the animal. The round section is between the butt and shank, kinda like the thigh area.

There are full cut round (almost looks kinda square with 3 sections & usually a round marrow bone), top round & bottom round. The top & bottom rounds are parts of the full cut round. Are ya with me so far?
Now, the bottom round (atleast in my book) also includes the "eye" of round (2 of 3 sections of full cut).

You mention "tenderized" & that sounds as if they have run it through a tenderizer that works kinda like if you used a mallet to help break up the tissue to make it a little more tender. (does that make sense?) If so, they would look kinda "beat up" and this may (or not) limit your choices for cooking.
If it has been tenderized in this way, you could also try chicken fried steak.

eta--or am I confusing 'tenderized' with 'cubed'? Told ya I'm no expert :p

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At our grocery store 'tenderized' steaks are run through a needling machine (hundreds of needles poke through the steak to make the cut more tender).

I usually make a texmex marinade (spices, oil, lime juice) and throw them on a barbecue after 12-24 hours soaking in the marinade. I haven't had a problem with any tough steaks.

I always buy the cheap cuts of steak and just marinade them for more tenderness.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks you guys!! And yes, they look like they have already been tenderized/pounded with something.

Here is what I did and it turned out fantastic:

First I made some seasoned flour by mixing flour, garlic salt blend and some black pepper together.

I lightly floured the steaks and then browned them on both sides in an olive oil and butter combo.

I took them out of the pan and set them aside.

I added frozen veggies (zucchini, onions, green beans, carrots and cauliflower) and the last bag of Drake Maiden's heriloom tomaotes that I froze whole. (Thanks again Drake!) I also added one cup of water.

When the veggies were rolling, I used a wooden spoon to chop up the whole tomatoes a bit. Then I added the steak back into the pan and sorta covered them up with the veggie mix.

Simmered for 2 hours.

And OH BABY it was good!!!!!! And those tomatoes tasted like sun dried tomatoes...YUMMY!