WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
total on tomatoes so far is about 105 quarts. we're about half way to two thirds through the harvest and i'm not sure what the quality will be now that the plants are losing most of their leaves or how many Mom will want to give away (she gave away about 20lbs last week of some of the nicest and largest ones i had). if we get another 30 quarts i'll be happy. we'll pick again sometime this week.

green peppers and Beaver Dam peppers are loaded. we'll be making some more stuffed peppers and giving them away (we have no more room in the freezer at all) and eating a few. i don't can salsa or peppers but in the past i have roasted the red peppers and then hot packed them into jars put a clean used lid on them and frozen them and they've kept that ways for a few years.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now I have about a dozen big red peppers left. Thinking -- more jelly or saute & freeze? Guess I could saute them, then can them. 🤔 I'm done with stuffed peppers. I'm done with frozen chopped and sliced. Dehydrator full of apples & plums. 🤷

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Right now I have about a dozen big red peppers left. Thinking -- more jelly or saute & freeze? Guess I could saute them, then can them. 🤔 I'm done with stuffed peppers. I'm done with frozen chopped and sliced. Dehydrator full of apples & plums. 🤷

i could eat one or two red peppers a day when they are ready. roasting them and packing them in jars to freeze works really well because roasting them removes a lot of moisture and shrinks them down some. i roast them until they get a little black/char on the edges. i'd like to do that for some of the Beaver Dam peppers but we have no room in the freezer at all.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow...eye opener today. Prices!!

I eat little jelly but, every 2 or 3 yrs I make a couple small batches of different flavors. This was my yr to make some. And I don't have dozens of the cute jelly jars. The dozens I have, I've filled. Likewise, don't keep a big stash of pectin.

Last of small jars filled, last box of pectin used. So thought I'd buy both. A dz 1/2 pints were $10 !! The pectin was $3.89 a box at local grocery! Thought I'd faint 😱 I'm loaded with qt & pt jars. Prob 350 lids, ea size. Stocked couple yrs ago as prices were rising. Didn't can much last yr. I'm good with those.

I did find a 6-pk of pectin at WM for $17.13, so under $3 a box. Now have enough for prob 2 yrs :lol: their jars were 9.89 a dz, 8oz. Qts are up close to $20. :thI'm wealthy in jars :plbb

Just unbelievable prices. Watch sales, if you use this stuff. 👍. It's not gonna get better 😞It's why we must return jars when gifted by others as canners know.

Apples are great source for pectin -- if you have those.

Sitting on my soap box, just sadly absorbing this.