WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quarts are 79 cents at Goodwill. Pints are 49 cents. I got some there and at estate sales.
Goodwills around here want 1.99 for quarts and pints. I just look at them and put them back and think “Man, are you crazy?” Different Goodwills price things differently though so occasionally I find one with better prices.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Goodwills around here want 1.99 for quarts and pints. I just look at them and put them back and think “Man, are you crazy?” Different Goodwills price things differently though so occasionally I find one with better prices.

that's a worse price than buying them new here ($16 a case at WW).

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
7 qt of baked beans -- raw mix-- in canner. It'll be a while for those. 90 min after the steam & pressure reached. 🥴 Some other stuff to go in after those.

Cool, rainy, get busy day 😁

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Same here on the goodwill prices... cheaper to buy new... WITH lids, at Walmart or other stores...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Same here on the goodwill prices... cheaper to buy new... WITH lids, at Walmart or other stores...

Grocery Outlet here has a case of regular mouth quarts for $10. They had 8 pints in a shipping box for $6. I grabbed a couple of those because I may want the boxes at some point.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finished the 2 canners of beans....
7qts of BBQ/baked beans & 7qts plain pinto.
It's nice to have them "ready" to cook with.

I dump the baked ones into an oven dish & add bacon when using. Thickens up real nice! Quickly.

Love a good dish of baked beans!! 😁 :drool

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a neighbor with a garden who generously allows me to pretty much pick whatever I want, and I will take a thing or two when I can use them. And then at the end of the season when they are tired of picking, freezing and canning, they tell me to just glean whatever is left. So this is the haul from Saturday:
564B264D-49BB-4631-B096-D9F4F966A6CA.jpeg

About 7# of really nice looking Roma tomatoes. (Last year they had round tomatoes and they were really bug eaten and rotten by the time I got to them, but still had a lot of useable ones. This year they moved the tomato plants to a new spot, and I think that really helped!)

So I’ve been wanting to try homemade ketchup, and the recipe I have calls for 6#, so I went for it. All the ingredients in the crock pot for most of one day, immersion blended, and run through my Foley hand mill. No need to peel the tomatoes!

Here it is in a bowl that I covered and put in the fridge overnight for finishing the next day.
4EA7399C-2464-43C2-9944-018F13FD0120.jpeg

I wanted it smoother than that, so next day I pressed it through metal sieve into crock pot. (And I also have a pint of pulpy ketchup from the strainer!) Smooth ketchup got reheated while I got the jars and canner ready. I think I cooked it down thick enough. Time will tell. The flavor is very good at any rate!
D12340BC-AAEF-4E40-92F0-4F4BFEDD3B68.jpeg

It made 2 1/2 pint jars. I took the opportunity to fill the rest of the canner with pints of peach nectar from Costco. They had 2-packs of giant bottles that I knew I would have to either freeze or can the bulk of once I opened one. But for years now I have not been able to find peach or apricot nectar. Stores only seem to carry mango or guava now. So I jumped at the chance to have a long term supply for the occasional times that I want some!

Well this morning one of the ketchup jars had not sealed. So I put a new lid on it and reprocessed it, along with the second bottle of nectar. I sure hope it pings this time!
D7AD5A4A-E525-44DC-A96A-61BAA8C5ABCF.jpeg