What did you do in your garden today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20230630_055312-jpg.23742
20230630_055336-jpg.23743
Both weighed 5 lbs. 6 oz. after being trimmed of the leaves when I picked them yesterday.

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In hot dry Sierra Foothills, I had to weigh down my newspapers all around my plants, with rocks. But for that, it was trying to keep the expensive water from
WET the paper and cardboard really well....when dried after, it stays.😊
For me, I would lay down cardboard if you have it: wet it down: on top of that if you have any cut grass you can cover the cardboard with it keep it damp, I used wood shavings from the neighbors sawmill

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lol, barely any rocks around here thinking of getting wood to case the tomatoes and peppers and use the trimmer after that, so I don't cut the tomatoes or peppers,lol

The winds around here come from lake Michigan, well from across wind city Chicago,lol

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol, barely any rocks around here thinking of getting wood to case the tomatoes and peppers and use the trimmer after that, so I don't cut the tomatoes or peppers,lol

The winds around here come from lake Michigan, well from across wind city Chicago,lol
My sister still is living in NM and she used straw bales beds??????

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
went out to help Mom in a few gardens as there might be poison ivy in them and i wanted to be sure she didn't get into it. only found a few spots that i knew of from before that i've already removed some vines so there were a few new sprouts coming up. made sure that she knew not to walk on those and then came back in and got some TP and my weeding knife (hoping to be able to remove any roots i could find - but not really possible in that garden as it is covered in thyme) and a garbage bag to put any bits in. got them removed and came in and washed everything that might have had even a remote chance of coming in contact with it.

so what was going to be me going out and pointing at a few weeds and looking for poison ivy became an hour and a half of weeding because, well, while i'm there... always happens this way anyways... :) i'm used to it. it wasn't too warm out there yet but it is high humidity so i'd reached my limit.

now i'll grab the camera and take a few pictures and that's about it for the gardens today. always plenty of other projects i can do along with weeding or transplanting but i'm quite ok taking a break after the scramble of weeding and getting all the gardens planted and then i get back to the rotational garden weeding where i go through and check them all for the worst weeds i'm after each season.

today's weeding was different because it was in some grassy spots and places where weeds were normally not getting into before (because the entire edge was chives and that kept grasses or other weeds from getting inwards onto the gravel mulch) but now that they have easier access and spray from the lawn mower can get around more easily i just have to keep more of an eye on that edge. removed some weed families that were going to spread before they got too far so that headed off some later work for sure.

and then there are some morning glory seeds always trying to sprout... if i see those i nuke 'em. they're great weeds for worm food. i don't usually have them trying to grow back once pulled and left on the surface to dry out.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have plantain everywhere...narrow & wide. Tell me what you can do with it ☺️👍

What is heal all???

Im going to use it in an insect bite salve. It's good for wounds as well.

Heal all is what I was taught it was called way back when. Its also called self heal. It's supposed to be good for different digestive diseases, but I wanted it for making a tincture for wound wash. It's got anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. It's also edible.

Sorry. I was busy around here