What did you do in your garden today?

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When is a pumpkin ready to pick. It's orange, the thump sounds right but it doesn't want to pull off the vine. Also I have an amazing pumpkin patch from the boys last years, fall decoration pumpkins, that we feed to the cattle.
Also it's a'lotta early here for them to be ready.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When is a pumpkin ready to pick. It's orange, the thump sounds right but it doesn't want to pull off the vine. Also I have an amazing pumpkin patch from the boys last years, fall decoration pumpkins, that we feed to the cattle.

when the stem starts to go woody is how i guess or if there is frost threatening.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When it's orange and has stopped growing, I cut it off the vine.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since we didn't get the drip set up, I've had to water the garden every other day. But when it was in the high 90's, it was every early am, trying to not lose all my efforts.
Same here,, I didnt water the corn garden with the zucchini, yellow squash and pumpkin in it yesterday, so , it must be done today--- I did soaker hose the veg garden all yesterday morning up to 4pm so it is good,

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We found out yesterday, when my hard water indicator strips arrived from A, that we've been watering EVERY DARN thing with soft water!!!

I got the hint when I filled the soft water thingie with three bags of salt a few months ago. The machine said we were good for another 400+ days. WRONG! It was beeping at me earlier this week cus it was empty. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR to the guy who redid the house and didn't separate the house plumbing from the outdoor water system!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We found out yesterday, when my hard water indicator strips arrived from A, that we've been watering EVERY DARN thing with soft water!!!

I got the hint when I filled the soft water thingie with three bags of salt a few months ago. The machine said we were good for another 400+ days. WRONG! It was beeping at me earlier this week cus it was empty. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR to the guy who redid the house and didn't separate the house plumbing from the outdoor water system!

OMG! :( :( :(

are your plants or gardens showing signs of salt problems?

do you get enough rains there to eventually leach away the extra salts?