R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Happy 4th of July!!!

Fireworks_P7042785_07-04-2007-001.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sprayed out the birdbath and filled it back up again, scraped some daylilies (and pulled a few others i could reach through the fence) to knock them back, picked gravel, weeded another garden, picked more gravel, weeded another garden and picked yet more gravel. got warm and then hot enough to call it done for the day.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cleaned out the birdbath and then gave it a bit of bleach to get rid of the algae, scrubbed it with the brush and then let that sit a while and then refilled it after rinsing it out.

watered some sprouting beans - we should get some rains later if the radar is showing me what i think it is. :) we'll see or hear it when it happens or i'll sleep through it...

went and harvested the earliest onion seed heads so they won't drop so many seeds in the garden - extras went to the weed pile. weeded the onion garden and then started in weeding the tomato garden and a bean garden and then started on another bean garden.

got hot and ready to quit. went and pulled up the poison ivy and then asked Mom about some she said that she saw. it wasn't poison ivy but she did see some others that were over under the lilac tree so i got those removed. early growth (maybe a few years old sprouted from seeds). came in and scrubbed down good to make sure any chance oils don't get a chance to cause too much havoc. i was wearing gloves plus using TP and a disposable trash bag (t-shirt bag from WW). made sure to tell Mom to not dig in the trash for any reason because there be dragons (aka disposed of poison ivy).

was just at the edge of my tolerance by the time i got in so i'm glad i knew when to quit. probably lost a few lbs of sweat this morning. drank plenty of water and then also a glass of milk and just topped up my tank again.

maybe rains tonight and cooler tomorrow...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No rain on my side. And no fireworks either! However, my potatoes went kaput, 😔
View attachment 23815

we had our power go out in the early evening and it was out most of the night until about 5:30 this morning. we sat around and told stories until bedtime.

plenty of rain early evening yesterday and through the night a few good rounds. i'm glad as the gardens all could use it along with the trees and everything else too.

taters might be ok, did you check them?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Dreamz i hope they're good eating! new potatoes. :) i'm not a very experienced potato grower (completely wrong soil here in almost all garden areas). in fact one of my earlier garden experiences here was coming over and helping to digging up some potatoes and breaking the fork within the first five minutes trying to get through the clay. we've only grown potatoes once since then and that was out front where there is more sand and topsoil brought in. the voles or some other animals ate a lot of them before we could harvest so Mom didn't want to plant them again. i can't blame her...