What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
mowing got done. i had to stop and rest half way through as the humidity is up and it was hot enough and i put on way too many clothes. so i came in and cooled off and then put on other less hot clothes and then it went much better (other than having to wipe lawn mower sauce off my legs when i was done). at the end i went over the thistles and then lowered the deck to zero which was scraping the ground so i had to raise it up one notch from zero to be able to mow them all close to the ground.

for a tiny and relatively inexpensive mower when we bought it it sure has held up to all the abuse. it's a Honda 4 stroke. other than changing oil, air filters, once in a while blade sharpen or replace and replacing the carb on it once it hasn't been much trouble. oh, i do have one of the control wires permanently wired "On" because the cable got rusted out and broke and we don't care about that "feature" so there i showed 'em... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
first started with the daylily patch i want to get rid of inside the fence and scraped that then got three other gardens inside the fence scraped for some weed control, pulled some of the worst weeds out of part of the strawberry patch and then also got the long skinny garden outside the fence scraped.

note while i did go up and down the rows i did not bend over and look between and around each plant. that kind of fine weeding is not something i'm going to be doing too much of on a day when i still hope to get outside for other stuff. mostly i just wanted to hit the purslane sprouts before they got big enough to where they would survive being scraped and left for a day. the few plants that were bigger or that i did not want to leave behind (any grasses or some oxalis) went into the weed bucket and were introduced to the weed pile.

woke up way too early again, going to take a nap after Mom's friend arrives, them chattering in the background will put me right out. :)

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This corn only gets 4foot max

image_67532801.JPG
image_67511553.JPG

zucchini & yellow squash - pumpkins and acorn squash
image_17178881.JPG

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
In several canning/gardening groups I am in on Facebook, there are discussions floating around that one of the home garden big seed suppliers mixed up/mispackaged lots of pepper varieties this year. People expecting jalapeños got yellow Hungarians or similar, for instance.

Any of you seeing this?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In several canning/gardening groups I am in on Facebook, there are discussions floating around that one of the home garden big seed suppliers mixed up/mispackaged lots of pepper varieties this year. People expecting jalapeños got yellow Hungarians or similar, for instance.

Any of you seeing this?

not quite that but something is different as i was supposed to have six identical California Wonder green bell pepper plants and i'm now sure that there's two different kinds of peppers growing there side by side as they are planted in the same garden and near enough to each other that they've not been treated differently. oh well, i just hope they're not hot peppers because Mom won't be able to use them if they are.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did get a few hours of weeding in the North Garden to clear out some of the competition for the onion patches and then i started working down further into the garden. i took four buckets of weeds to the weed pile which is not common for me to do at all even a part of a bucket. normally i would bury them but too many were going to seed so those were going to the weed pile. the birdies can pick through them there (and they do).

when i first went out i had a run in with a wasp/bee of some kind that got pinched in my shoe so i had to come in and change socks because it kept wanting to sting me again and was going after my shoe. so i left my shoe out there and came in and changed that sock, but it still didn't like me so i came back in again and changed both socks but i also wiped my feet and legs down with apple cider vinegar and then wiped both legs and my other shoes down with a bit of tea tree oil and that did the trick. i didn't see that bee again for the remaining two hours i was out there. i saw hundreds to thousands of other bees. they're all over out there all the time there's something blooming.

tomorrow i'll get out there for another round. may need to hit it the rest of the week to get it back into shape, but at least now the onions will not be overrun with squash or purslane or oxalis or ...

Last edited: