What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Probably a good thing. If you had more it may hinder the overall production of the other hives depending on how many they have and the environment. Plus you get pollination and don't have to mess with any hives.

i don't know how many are in these stacks as i don't get very close to them to have a better look.

DSC_20230609_094133-0400_1997_Bee_Hives_thm.jpg

Good to know. I should try it. I usually just wipe the webs out of my way whenever I have to get down there.

i'm not sure it will make a difference or not, but i had the wad of TP with bleach on it from soaking some up out of the birdbath so i just used that to dab around the edges.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks like 4 hives to a pallet. So a dozen. They say most places that have flowers of some sort all summer can handle up to 30 hives to an apiary. But those 12 is enough to do you and any tree's around (within 2 miles) a world of good.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last year I dug a trench , filled it with peat moss and grew my potatoes there. Unfortunately, I was overrun with voles which pretty much wiped out all root crops.

I even tried some of the sonic pest repellers which had zero effect on the voles.
For those of you having trouble with voles, Kat Sense Covered Rat & Chipmunk Traps really work.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
tried to get rid of the carpenter ant nest that has been there for many years in the shed door sill or wall or ... without removing the door and tearing the wall apart to make sure i just dug out what i could of the sill with some chisels and hammer and then since i had no cement or brick pieces handy i substituted caulk and pieces of rock (as filler that carpenter ants would not eat). i hoped to seal whatever was left in there so they could not get out again very easily plus i also managed to kill quite a few of the ants along with what i hoped was the queen (it was a larger ant bigger than any of the others). so i hope i got things somewhat better off.

i still have some more caulk to use up but wanted things to dry out today and tonight and i can finish it up tomorrow or whenever i can get back to it. it should be sealed up well enough now that at least the rain can't get into the shed and hopefully no black ants will get in there either.

my attempt to bait them wasn't going anywhere and i was spending way too much time over the years to let it keep on going the way it was. so today i hope i got at least within striking distance of having this done.

rocks and caulk... one more tube of caulk and i should not need all of it so i can fix another spot up that can use it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Garden never happened this spring. Wanting something to do and it is Thur, so went to our weekly produce auction. Told myself, only want a few tomatoes! No corn, green beans, peppers, squash...still loaded from last yr, canned & frozen.

So -- got there in time to walk and look what was being sold tonight. Plenty! 😁 Auction starts and I was in disbelief at some prices -- $65 a bushel green beans, $23 for 50 ears of corn, and expensive tomatoes!! Thinking glad I grew and overstocked last year! Spot a few "oddball" small quantity things. They auction a pallet and people bid, take # cases wanted, other bidders can then buy off until gone or stop and balance is re-bid. Near end, the veg that had sold well & buyers full, well those prices were way less.

Anyway -- I got in on some rebid...4pt blueberries & 6 PT cherry tomatoes $5. Then a box of brussel sprouts & box of mixed cauliflower and broccoli $5ea box....last $4 box eggplant. Got home , weighed, smiled...17#eggplant, 8# Brussels, 27# broc/cauli. I'm pleased. Figures approx $.30 a# for veggies. My goats will get the little trimmings/clean up parts tomorrow. 😁

IMG_20230803_204945037_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230803_204806147_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230803_204747922.jpg
IMG_20230803_204757698.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Garden never happened this spring. Wanting something to do and it is Thur, so went to our weekly produce auction. Told myself, only want a few tomatoes! No corn, green beans, peppers, squash...still loaded from last yr, canned & frozen.

So -- got there in time to walk and look what was being sold tonight. Plenty! 😁 Auction starts and I was in disbelief at some prices -- $65 a bushel green beans, $23 for 50 ears of corn, and expensive tomatoes!! Thinking glad I grew and overstocked last year! Spot a few "oddball" small quantity things. They auction a pallet and people bid, take # cases wanted, other bidders can then buy off until gone or stop and balance is re-bid. Near end, the veg that had sold well & buyers full, well those prices were way less.

Anyway -- I got in on some rebid...4pt blueberries & 6 PT cherry tomatoes $5. Then a box of brussel sprouts & box of mixed cauliflower and broccoli $5ea box....last $4 box eggplant. Got home , weighed, smiled...17#eggplant, 8# Brussels, 27# broc/cauli. I'm pleased. Figures approx $.30 a# for veggies. My goats will get the little trimmings/clean up parts tomorrow. 😁

View attachment 24117View attachment 24118View attachment 24119View attachment 24120

yay! :)

Jabberwonky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum, so I hope I am not interrupting your thread too much... I haven't done anything with my garden today because we have had a lot of thunderstorms and heavy rains in the last few days! (Everything is soggy, but I am also really happy to not have to water anything!) I've got a flower garden that desperately needs weeding, so I'll have to get around to that soon. My veggie garden this year has been very small... we have some carrots and bell peppers growing right now. I am hoping I didn't plant the bell peppers too late, because they are just starting to fruit (is that the right term?) and only have a few more weeks before it gets cold. I also have some onions, but they didn't do very well...I think I planted them too shallow and will have to try again another year. I harvested a nice crop of garlic in July, and have replanted some lettuce and spinach in that garden bed, so I'll need to thin it pretty soon.