What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did get some gardening done today, but not as much as i'd planned as the neighbor who owns the south field came over so we toured and flew his drone and took various pictures (more details in my little wild kingdom thread). got something done is what counts - parts of two gardens. some is better than none and as my sister would say "We accept!" :)

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Mental subprocessors churning on ideas for garden space. Pondering a 4'x8' raised/elevated bed with a cover. For the cover, thinking rectangular frame of PVC pipe and bird netting, held down with fasteners. Maybe 4' high.

Keep the critters out, allow bees access, and light enough I can move myself

Thoughts?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, DH and I both like them. We like turnips too. :)

(hope we like parsnips, lol)

probably will. :) i've not had those either but the descriptions here lead me to believe i'd be just fine eating them - there's very few vegetables i don't like:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
weather forecast for today is sunny, mid-40sF and not too windy so i hope i can get outside and get some gardening done.

i have to wait a bit until it warms up as it's only about 35F outside at the moment and i don't know if we got frosted or not - still a bit too dark to see.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...Thoughts?

my experience is that anything that can get chewed through or easily damaged will be. deer will run through or trample or push against. rabbits and groundhogs will chew through. chipmunks and mice and voles will chew. raccoons will climb over or get through so if you really want to keep them out you'll need 'lectric hot wire and well designed.

i would figure out where you want your most precious gardens at and then put up a tall enough (with open ground 8ft) barrier fence. the closer to your house the better as that also helps discourage the critters but also it makes it more likely that you'll get in there to garden.