What did you do in your garden today?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shoveled some barn dirt and mixed it with some recycled potting soil. I've been putting that into the cinderblock openings. I have onions in the openings on one bed. Thinking of putting either a turnip seed or a rutabaga seed into each of the openings on this bed. Heck, I planted parsnips yesterday and I've never even tasted one. I do know that I like turnips and rutabagas though. I got carrots planted along with some radishes and Little Gem lettuce. Also trying to start some more broccoli plants. Need to think about some more cabbage too. Yikes - I'm going to run out of room if I don't get the other raised beds put together.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
something! i was psyched! :) i went out and weeded an edge of a garden and got it finished and i'm happy as that looks much better now

that also means it is ready for some creeping thyme transplants come next spring. it is exciting because i can finally spare some of the thyme i've been growing in the North Garden so now it can go in this other garden and help keep the edges more free of weeds. every time i can grow a plant which keeps weeds down or takes up a place another weed can grow it helps in the longer run so that has become something i do when i get a chance.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Shoveled some barn dirt and mixed it with some recycled potting soil. I've been putting that into the cinderblock openings. I have onions in the openings on one bed. Thinking of putting either a turnip seed or a rutabaga seed into each of the openings on this bed. Heck, I planted parsnips yesterday and I've never even tasted one.

haha! my hero! i've never had one either but i think i would like them.

I do know that I like turnips and rutabagas though. I got carrots planted along with some radishes and Little Gem lettuce. Also trying to start some more broccoli plants. Need to think about some more cabbage too. Yikes - I'm going to run out of room if I don't get the other raised beds put together.

:) it's good therapy in the end. i really enjoyed what i got done today and feel so much better for getting some meaningful exercise.

pace yourself but keep at it when you can. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Planning next year's garden. I think I may put in a few raised beds, with wire lids. Rabbits and birds tear up a strawberry patch in a hurry, seems like overnight.

make sure it is chipmunk proof too because they are consistently the critters that do the most raiding here even when i have a fence around the gardens. raccoons as good climbers are also a pain in the butt. i'm considering giving up on strawberries for now because i can no longer get much of a crop. until i can get a better fence and electrify it to keep the coons from climbing over and in...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice morning here 38, going up to near 70. Worked at taking down the electric netting yesterday, more to do today. Taking down the cattle panels from the T-posts... once the ground softens up enough to pull them... it is like concrete with no rain. Going to make a pile of branches, etc and have to do some clearing along fenceline and then burn it in the garden this winter sometime.