R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chokecherries working.
20240811_115220_1.gif

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had an orchard of one tree. Lolol. Have done nothing to it since we moved in.

View attachment 26910
I am no expert, but I've just studied a lot of apple varieties and this is one I remembered well. From the outside it looks like a shamrock apple. Have you tried it yet? Does it have a light green creamy flesh? If so, then it's more than likely a shamrock. Which is a cross between a mcIntosh and golden delicious. It's said when fully ripe, it's good for eating out of hand and also cooking with.

Here's the shamrock apple characteristics
Medium size
Ripen mid-season
Green skin with a red blush at peak ripeness
Creamy light green flesh
Coarse texture
Flavor is somewhat tart, similar to mcIntosh, some are more tart
Short storage life

If it doesn't have a light green creamy flesh. Then It might be a under ripe, winter banana or cox's orange pipin apple. The flesh color and flavor should be a good indicator though.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I am no expert, but I've just studied a lot of apple varieties and this is one I remembered well. From the outside it looks like a shamrock apple. Have you tried it yet? Does it have a light green creamy flesh? If so, then it's more than likely a shamrock. Which is a cross between a mcIntosh and golden delicious. It's said when fully ripe, it's good for eating out of hand and also cooking with.

Here's the shamrock apple characteristics
Medium size
Ripen mid-season
Green skin with a red blush at peak ripeness
Creamy light green flesh
Coarse texture
Flavor is somewhat tart, similar to mcIntosh, some are more tart
Short storage life

If it doesn't have a light green creamy flesh. Then It might be a under ripe, winter banana or cox's orange pipin apple. The flesh color and flavor should be a good indicator though.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️
Thanks for the info. Wasn't planning on doing anything with the tree. The deer have the apples stripped as high as they can reach and Mr groundhog is cleaning up the one that fell.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter used to make wines....gave it up, it seems. But was interesting to watch. I made a few bottles a couple years back -- with the "scientific" yeast/sugar/juice & balloon method :lol: it actually wasn't bad & drinkable. Not an ongoing thing. Nope. I'm still buying it. Patience factor.

Crisp 64 this morning. Coolest in months!! 😁 Reminding me that will be daytime temps before very long. I'm good with that. Chores done. Having coffee and contemplating another day at work. Yep, every day this week I've booked jobs. What was I thinking?? 🤔🤪