What did you do in your orchard today?

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tree question. I have been trying to grow most of my trees from seed and just planted some almond seedlings. The "guidelines" all say to make sure soil stays below the graft, but since these trees will not be grafted, can they be planted deeper? I want them to have deep root systems so the holes were 18 inches deep. The trees are planted 6 inches below soil level, but the plan is to fill in once the trees pass their first winter.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tree question. I have been trying to grow most of my trees from seed and just planted some almond seedlings. The "guidelines" all say to make sure soil stays below the graft, but since these trees will not be grafted, can they be planted deeper? I want them to have deep root systems so the holes were 18 inches deep. The trees are planted 6 inches below soil level, but the plan is to fill in once the trees pass their first winter.
For grafted trees, yes, you want the graft atleast two inches above the soil and pull the mulch back away from the trunk and also keep the area well weeded so graft union gets good air flow.

I have no personal experience with growing almonds, hopefully someone else can chime in. Do you know the What is almond variety? I just checked and it looks like there are well over 30 unique named almond varieties grown in California alone. If you know the variety, I can try and find a answer for planting depth of the specific almond variety on its own roots.

BTW this made me hungry for nuts 😋

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For grafted trees, yes, you want the graft atleast two inches above the soil and pull the mulch back away from the trunk and also keep the area well weeded so graft union gets good air flow.

I have no personal experience with growing almonds, hopefully someone else can chime in. Do you know the What is almond variety? I just checked and it looks like there are well over 30 unique named almond varieties grown in California alone. If you know the variety, I can try and find a answer for planting depth of the specific almond variety on its own roots.

BTW this made me hungry for nuts 😋

Likely part are from a Halls Hardy almond, others from various purchased or gifted seeds. I just grabbed a few and threw them in a bag, so could be just about anything. It's even possible that some are a peach or nectarine cross. The goal is to find what actually thrives here, so a varied selection is important.

I have planted all the other seedlings at ground level.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Likely part are from a Halls Hardy almond, others from various purchased or gifted seeds. I just grabbed a few and threw them in a bag, so could be just about anything. It's even possible that some are a peach or nectarine cross. The goal is to find what actually thrives here, so a varied selection is important.

I have planted all the other seedlings at ground level.

Screenshot_20240821_215128_Gallery.jpg

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Trees whether purchased or self grown should be planted at the same depth they previously were growing at.

It depends on the species of tree whether it will grow deep roots. Taproot trees will grow deep roots but other trees will never grow deep roots. Big spruce trees grow a big root ball but are susceptible to high winds because the roots don't go deep enough to anchor the tree.

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Trees whether purchased or self grown should be planted at the same depth they previously were growing at.

It depends on the species of tree whether it will grow deep roots. Taproot trees will grow deep roots but other trees will never grow deep roots. Big spruce trees grow a big root ball but are susceptible to high winds because the roots don't go deep enough to anchor the tree.
Most prunus (which includes almonds) have a taproot.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most prunus (which includes almonds) have a taproot.
That is not my experience. None of the Prunus I have, apricots, peaches, plums and cherries have taproots.

Trees near buildiings

"Some tree species, notably Prunus (cherries), have roots that grow very close to the soil surface,"

Prunus serotina

"Seedlings typically develop a taproot with numerous laterals during the first few years. Under adequate light, the roots penetrate 15 to 20 cm (6 to 8 in) the first year in most soils. Well before black cherry reaches sapling size, a spreading form of root system develops in which a distinct taproot is no longer evident"

Tap roots

“10. Myth: All trees have a taproot.
Fact: Trees that germinate with a taproot eventually lose the taproot as the secondary roots grow and become more dominant. For most trees, the taproots that had initially established themselves are nonexistent when the tree reaches maturity.”

Root growth in almond trees

" While almond tree root systems can extend twice the height of the tree, most of those systems spread horizontally and are not very deep."

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting. That hasn't been my experience, after having taken ax or saw to the tap root to get some dead trees out. Maybe we have different definitions? Most of my trees are planted dry (or have been in the past) so maybe they were forced to dig deep for water and a primary root took that role?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is from UNH so adjust times according to your zone. But good resource nonetheless.

Growing Fruit: Grafting Fruit Trees in the Home Orchard