What did you do in your orchard today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're going to have one huge fruit bowl of an or hard!! 🥰

How's your asparagus doing?
I'm looking to add two more sweet cherry varieties. Van to cross pollinate bing and lapins because it's self pollinating like stella but the two pollinting eachother should yeild more cherries. Then I think I'll be done with sweet and pie cherries. IDK... adding fruit tree varieties is a lot like chicken math, i'll keep going until I run out of ground. As long as I got good hardy rootstocks growing in the ground, I can graft in whatever varieties do well here locally. It's getting started that's the hard part, cause you just don't know what will grow well until you try and grow it.

Asparagus is about chest high with nice bushy dark green ferns, in about a 4 foot wide strip of weeds that are just as tall. I had to tell FB she can't mow that strip or she'll kill the asparagus, not until the ferns die back, then it can be mowed. She's had one powerful itch to mow that strip :rolleyes: but she likes asparagus better.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last evening I was watering the orchard and out of the hay mulch slithers a baby snake. I'm not sure what kind it was, it moved pretty quick. But it's probably good know the baby vipers just incase.

It came out of here.
Screenshot_20240829_180352_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FB made us a cherry pie out of the cherries we harvested earlier this year. She specifically has two quarts she canned that came from our bing cherry tree. I was skeptical about using sweet cherries for a pie, but it's delicious and the cherries held their shape during canning and baking.

The color of the pie filling is a lot darker, than what I'm used to seeing in a cherry pie. But bing sweet cherries are darker than red pie cherries. She canned the pie filling with low sugar and made the crust with flour that doesn't spike our blood sugar. 😋
Screenshot_20240831_111531_Gallery.jpg

I still need to be careful, as a recovered cherrypieaholic, though.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I adore figs. Mostly I dehydrate and go into a trance as I'm eating 🥰. My, my....so good! And make fig preserves, plus fill with goat cheese for a delightful treat. They are heavy bearers. Only.need a couple trees.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I adore figs. Mostly I dehydrate and go into a trance as I'm eating 🥰. My, my....so good! And make fig preserves, plus fill with goat cheese for a delightful treat. They are heavy bearers. Only.need a couple trees.
Thinking about doing containers at first, to see which ones do well here. There are so many different varieties and types.

Here is another common fig I want to try, boysenberry blush. Again NOT a fig grown by me.
Screenshot_20240903_190548_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240903_183742_Gallery.jpg

I'll be posting more varieties and propagation/rooting methods.

Last edited: