What's for dinner?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
simple stuff last night, cottage cheese with some apricot preserves on top and then i chunked up some graham crackers and put those on top for some crunch (and more fiber :) ).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Shrimp with sauteed onions and sweet peppers. Maybe a glass of vino...

:) Mmm! i always get a smile on my face when someone uses the word "vino" because it reminds me of Mom telling the story of the first time she had dinner at the in-laws place where she was from a small family of Protestants and things were somewhat quiet most dinners she was greeted by a huge long table of 12 or more loud very hungry people (most were my uncles as my grandma had one girl at first and then nine boys one after the other - it was like she knew what was coming next so she had my aunt to help out). which was presided over by my grandfather at the end who told her "You so pale! Drink some vino!" and she had no idea how to eat spaghetti as she'd never seen it before in her life. she also did not know how to cook but grandma got her up to speed in all the family favorite dishes and also oven canning and then on the other side of the family my aunts taught her various cookies and other goodies.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow - that's a great story! Glad she wasn't toooo overwhelmed, lol! Can't imagine a time when your mom didn't know how to cook with your posts about all the cooking she does, but we all had to start somewhere!

yes. :)

she's making spaghetti sauce and meatballs right now. yesterday she made a few hundred cookies. it gives her something to do that makes people happy, plus it makes me happy to do the dishes when she's done. plus, of course, i get to eat some of what she makes (most of the time, once in a while she forgets to ask me if i want some :) ). i'm also usually the taste tester and sometimes sous-chef.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today we have to make garlic bread, broccoli and cauliflower salad and a chocolate pie. i will just be doing dishes or whatever else needed. later we'll have dinner with a friend and chitter chatter, oh, and i just heard that we may have to put something together that he bought... we'll see... :)

the sauce and meatballs have been in the oven all night. we turned it off late and just left the oven door closed. i checked it this morning and it is still hot enough that i couldn't leave my hand on the pan for longer than a second. i'd sneak some for breakfast but i don't think i'll get away with it, plus i need to finish up something else first. shhh, you didn't hear me say anything... :)