What's for dinner?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Corn finshed and fatted CCX 1/2 chicken, 5.08lb. Covered in warm bacon grease, redman salted and black peppered. I got it on the electric smoker with dead apple branch wood chunks for smoke. Going for low and slow 225F ~ 250F, with a target thigh temperature 168F. Needs about 45 minutes cooking time per lb and 1/2 hour rest covered.
View attachment 26955

Every meat I've cooked in this electric smoker has been delicious, thanks to this a handy chart for selecting smoke wood.
View attachment 26956

I'll let you know how chicken turns out.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Alder actually works for everything as it's very neutral. It's often a main part of pellets from some companies with just some of the main flavor wood blended in. Have to check on pellets. Stuff we gets is single wood.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That was a good tender juciy chicken, mild sweet smokey flavor that complemented but didn't overpower chicken flavor. I'm of the opinion, that apple smoke wood is the way to go for smoked chicken.

Here's what the 1/2 chicken looked like at 160F before removed the smoke box and wrapped with non-stick aluminum foil. I brought it up to 168F slowly. Then removed it from the smoker and left it rest still wrapped for 1/2 hour on the kitchen counter 😋
Screenshot_20240818_195221_Gallery.jpg

Just 3 pint jars of leftover chicken in the pressure canner. FB says it will make awesome chicken salad, I think so too.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

VJohnson

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made pierogi for the first time last night. First time I ever made it, but also the first time I ever ate it. It was so good. I'll do that again. The polish sausage? Meh....tasted just like hot dog. Kept thinking I needed a bun and some mustard.

Tonight will be Kalbi flank steak, mashed potatoes and asparagus.