What's for dinner?

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sort of, lol. I checked with a meat thermometer in a thigh at the 20 minute mark. I think chicken is supposed to be 165 to be fully cooked. At the 20 minute mark it was 162. I turned the oven off and left the chicken in there - checked it again about 10 minutes later when I had everything else pulled together and it was over 170! (still juicy!) Carry over cooking is real, lol. But, it also might depend on how long you brown it on the stove top first. I made sure it was really well-browned on all sides so that might have helped
Chicken thighs were on sale so I finally made this! It was very good, even if my oven over cooked it. I made sure to brown them really well like you said. But the marinade got pretty black in the bottom of the pan, so maybe I overdid that part. Then after 20 minutes when I checked, the meat thermometer jumped right up to 190! 😱 So the extra 10 minutes was not needed.

I keep a separate thermometer in the oven from when we were having problems with it a few years back. That thermometer read 575!!! 😱😱 May have to call in the appliance repair guy. Last time he couldn’t get the part because of the pandemic. But just the act of him unplugging it, opening up and testing it and then plugging it back in made it work fine afterwards. I will actually try unplugging it again before I call.

But anyway, the flavor was great. Our son (visiting from SF) didn’t eat his blackened skin, but DH and I both ate ours, and he even went back for seconds. I will definitely be making this again!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240908_194222_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240908_194138_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cabbage soup -- cause a pot of it is cooking :lol:

No recipe, just toss it in. Little bacon to flavor. Some pre canned kidney beans for protein & pretty much tomato & cabbage is it. Of course seasoning, onion, garlic that sorta stuff. I'll can much of this in pints as a base for veg soup.

Will add potato to about a qt for dinner & leftovers for tomorrow....maybe some corn.

Yes, clearing leftovers. 👍🤣

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cottage cheese with some sardines in mustard sauce on top, added extra mustard and some cilantro dominated hot sauce to top it off. followed up by a few peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and a handful of peanuts and a glass of milk.