Bimpnottin's Journal - OFG: Bacon scarf

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm confused. My daughter is going to be going to the new 4K program at our public school this year. Called the school, because we still haven't found out if she's going to be in the morning or afternoon class, no school supply list, yet, basically no information. Actually got someone to answer the phone (miracle). Found out that she will be starting school on Sept 6th, but that they DON'T HAVE ANY TEACHERS HIRED, YET!!! :ep HUH? It's August 11th, and she starts school on September 6th, and they don't have teachers, yet! This is giving me a bad feeling on how this school year is going to go. Oh, yeah, did find out that it will be just morning class. But there is no school supply list, because of no teachers. Good thing I picked her up crayons, folder, scissors, etc when I had to go for the older one. :barnie

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
weird for sure but don't worry, it will all come full circle JUST before Sept. 6 :D

interesting tho

I am lucky I got all the info etc. and it is still stressful the 'back to school' thing but I love when they do go back

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My kids go back August 24! We have a lot of stuff left over and still new from the previous year, so they are going to use that first.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, according to my mom, who used to be on a school board, it's not unusual to not have teachers hired until August, because contracts usually run out late July. But REALLY!!! :he

Paint is on the wall in the bathroom. I have to touch up the ceiling - I'm horrible at cutting in. I've got to get that done before Friday night, because my Brother in law will probably be here to put the bathroom together!!!! Yippee!!!!:weee Ceiling is done in the guest room, at least I think it is - I used the paint sprayer for the ceiling and the closet. Started the first of three colors for the walls. I'm doing stripes.

Ever have that moment when you open the paint can, look at the paint, and go EEP? :idunno Yep, I sure did when I opened the paint can and saw that orangey color. Whoa! What did I do? :duc Now that it's on the wall, I like it, but I'm not sure my husband does. So, almost done with the top stripe color. Halfway done with the bottom color, and then I need to wait a few days so I can tape and then do the middle stripe. Honestly, the oranges go with all the browns in the kitchen and it's only the guest room aka CRAFT ROOM - (um, can you tell it's main purpose! :celebrate ) and the oranges to wake you up.

I'm almost 36 and I still hate that feeling I get when I imagine my father looking at it and wondering what the he!! I did. :( I should be used to it. His idea of color on the wall is a really light tan. My living room is pink and gray. My kitchen is 5 different colors of brown. An upstairs room is 5 different colors of green, but I still get that little girl feeling of He's going to be disappointed. Maybe one of these years I'll outgrow that.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Between last night and this morning, I got 45 quarts of dill pickles done. Slices and spears to midgets from sweet dill to sour dill to spicy dill.

THen, got the phone call that my bushel of peaches are in. I suppose I need to go get those this afternoon.

However, my children have been something :ep today. The oldest was a huge helper this morning. The other ones were okay. UNTIL NAPTIME! :th I was sitting in my chair, relaxing for a little while, after the dill pickle marathon. I heard someone coming down the stairs and I hollered at them to get back upstairs and TAKE A NAP!!!!!!! My poor 4 year old comes over to me holding her face, dripping blood everywhere, and said "But you said it's okay to come down if we're bleeding." Honestly, it took me 10 minutes to get her cleaned up and her nose to stop bleeding. At first, I couldn't even figure out if it was her mouth or her nose, there was so much blood. :( It seems that my monster child, who just turned 3, didn't like the bed she was sleeping in, so she wanted to switch. :barnie The 4YO was asleep and didn't like getting jumped on, so she kicked the 3YO. The monster child retaliated by punching the 4YO in the nose. After cleaning up my poor girl, she went back to bed, and I spanked the bejesus out of the monster. We then proceeded to total and complete toddler meltdown. :th UGH.:th

I was going to take them along to go get the peaches and then treat them to an ice cream at the local shop, but not after that little display. Except that tortures me, too, because I was really looking forward to a volcano cone. sigh.

But hey, monster child is finally sleeping, now that everyone is awake.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Kids! LOL Glad your DD is OK and holy batman that's a lot of pickles!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Kids! LOL Glad your DD is OK and holy batman that's a lot of pickles!
She must be fine, she's playing in the sprinkler with the older kids. I think I mentioned pickle marathon in there somewhere. They. Just. Wouldn't. Stop. I swear, the more I cut up, the more there were.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:DWorked with my oldest at the church produce wagon on Saturday for a couple of hours. (Part of the mandatory volunteering if your kid goes to school there, but it's fun.)

After the pickle marathon the day before, I kind of had the brine recipe floating in my brain. Had an older lady, probably in her mid-70s stop and get some cucumbers to make some pickles. THe first time she had canned in years, and she needed a recipe. So, I shared mine. Then, because we were talking, I mentioned that I was going to have to look for more jars. She was so cute. :) She asked where I lived and I told her. She told me where she was, which is only about 5 miles away. She told me I could come over and get as many jars as I needed, if I was willing to haul them out of her basement. She said that she broke her hip a few years ago and hasn't been in her basement since then. So, I'm hoping I can get over there tonight after my husband gets home from work, so I can go help her clean out the basement and get some jars :D. I figure I'll bring her over a quart of the pickles I got done doing and offer her some money for the jars, depending on how many I manage to get. Plus, I'm hoping that I'll be able to help her with anything else she needs moved in the basement.

Then, yesterday, the neighbor came over to offer me some beets. Sure, I'll take some beets. He gave me enough for about 3-4 pints. Then, he asked if I would have time to pickle his, too. Doesn't take any extra effort to do a few more pints of beets. He sent the kids over later with more beets, sugar, vinegar, and his own jars and lids. Plus, he said he'd pay me $1/jar to do it for him. Gee, I get free beets out of the deal and get paid to take care of his. That's a deal I can handle.

I have to check the peaches to see if they are soft enough to can. They were like rocks the other day.

My apple trees are loaded. I should start getting the Haralson's off in about a week and a half. THen, the Prairie Spy and the Wolf River should be mid to late September, but the old tree that we have no idea of what variety will be ready to go off. I'm going to be doing applesauce, apple leather, dried apples until they come out of my ears. Plus, we'll have plenty to take to Dad's to run through his cider press. Already saving milk jugs for that, and his big freezer has been rearranged to freeze the jugs. Couple of years ago we did over 100 gallons of cider.