Bimpnottin's Journal - OFG: Bacon scarf

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Nice scores on the beets and jars! :D It is sweet of you to help that little lady out :hugs

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats on the canning. I bet that woman is a wealth of information. So nice of you to help her.

Apples galore. Wow!!!

G

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Apples galore. Wow!!!

G
My poor trees are so loaded that we have the branches supported, and that's after plucking off 3/4s of them this spring, so they grow bigger. My Wolf Rivers are already 5 inches across, and this is still a young tree. In a couple of years, they should be almost 7 inches across.

Plus, with my 4 varieties and Dad's 4 different varieties, it makes really good cider. Really smooths out the flavor. Makes better applesauce, too.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took my oldest daughter with me to go get the jars tonight.

Mardelle, the older lady, was so sweet. I brought over a couple of jars of my canned stuff for her. She had just pulled an apple cake from the oven and gave it to us!!!!!!!!!!! :celebrate

Then, she had masks for us to wear in her basement - which just shows how bad it was going to be. Luckily, her basement was clean except for the canning room. Full of water and mildew. :sick So, she had a ton of jars, I got a dozen quarts and about 1 1/2 dozen pints. She had a lot more jars, but lots of broken jars and lots of reusing the thin applesauce jars, old glass coffee jars, etc. So, we hauled jars up to be gotten rid of for about 1/2 hour and then she told us to stop. She'll have a bunch of glass going out in the recycling tomorrow.

My daughter, who gets along with everyone, told me that she has a new buddy.

She even told us that when her wild grapes are ready, she'll call me so that we can come and pick them.

I think my daughter is right, we did make a new buddy! :ya

ETA: p.s. got 4 1/2 quarts of tomato soup canned today.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not a whole lot accomplished at home yesterday. I did my last farm audit of the year, which was 1 1/2 hours away. 3 hours in the car doesn't bother me, but it sure was enjoyable to have some "me" time.

Anyway, back to enjoying my day. I knew I wasn't going to be home for lunch and I had a little extra daycare money in my pocket, so I looked up a couple of places to treat myself to lunch. I'm so glad I did, because I stopped at this cute little cafe and had a Moroccan chicken curry sandwich and an Italian cream soda. Never had either, and it was really good. Then, the owner was trained to make gelato by an Italian gelato master (who knew!) and so I got to same some gelato. I've never had gelato before, and it WAS. REALLY. GOOD. :drool Probably a good thing I live 1 1/2 hours away. I ended up trying about 5 flavors as samples - should have been happy with just the samples, but I wasn't. :plbb The green apple was okay, the mustard (an experiment) went horribly wrong :sick but it was one of those things you just have to sample, zuppa inglese (?) was like eggnog. Then, I had the dark chocolate and the pineapple - I had those two in my cone. :celebrate

I got paid for my last two months of work yesterday. Now, I'm in a bit of a money dilemma....do I take the money I was just paid and pay off the credit card for the bathroom remodeling or do I take the money and buy the fencing and my 3 Dexter cows? Sigh... I don't know what to do. :hu

Have friends stopping over today to play with the girls - it's going to be a zoo. 7 little girls ages 8 and under and my poor 2YO nephew. He's going to be lost in an estrogen ocean. :ep

Have a great day everyone. I need to go get a batch of bars made (because I'm too lazy to make cookies) and have to sweep the kitchen and vacuum the living room before we get company.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would pay off credit cards as cool as it would be to have the fencing in place for adorable cows.