Check out my new redneck hill-billy chicken coop!

jd3320

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
This was at my BIL's house. He used it as a dog house.
Hubby said it's about 8 x 10ish. It has a shingled top, but we had to take it off to move it. Very Heavy!

My thought is to skirt the bottom, hang a hinged door, hang some cutsy trim along the front, paint it light yellow with white trim, paint some windows (since it doesn't have any on the front) and find something to use for shutters on each side of the painted windows & put up real window boxes. We'll cut in some windows on the back for ventilation, cut a hole in the side, right where the nesting boxes will be for easier access to the eggs and cut a door for the chickys to get in and out. We have wire fencing and metal posts, but I'll need to get chicken wire to make sure the babies don't walk right thru, and across the top to keep the hawks out. whew!

any suggestions?
vinyl on the floor glue it it's good for easy cleening I found a scrap for nothing good luck
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu36/Okiemedley/IMG_6186.jpg

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu36/Okiemedley/IMG_6185.jpg

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hinged roof panel or side door is a good idea. I can tell you from experience with a similar chicken pen that if you have to get in to remove a dead bird or retrieve eggs from the floor (they don't always lay in the nest boxes!) it is a little awkward crawling in the bird door. And the older you are the more awkward it can be !!

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
nothing says I can't have a bunch of different breeds. ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have Australorpes and they are great layers. I had some EEers and their eggs were pretty, but not as consistent of a layer (although finding a green egg 4 x a week instead of 6 is still cool.)

We have read that BRs have great personalities and are great with kids.....my kids would like to add in some of those this year. We may be moving so that is on hold, but they would be my next choice.

I think mypetchicken.com has a good little list of questions to help you choose breeds.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We got a wide variety of chickens last year and I have to say that the BRs are by far the favorite with my kids and husband. Followed closely by the BSL. Both lay esceptionally well and are just awesome with the kids. Especially the BRs.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BR's are Barred Rock, right? are they white with black speckledy spots?

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
BR's are Barred Rock, right? are they white with black speckledy spots?
I once saw them described as "those black and white stripey ones". LOL, I enjoyed that so much. Now I call ours "you stripey girls" all the time.

Our BRs are very friendly and curious, under foot all the time. But I enjoy others as well and prefer to keep a laying flock of several breeds.