Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
from my FB post:

Mavee (Maverick) got thru the surgery for his leg. They put in a plate and 7 screws. We pick him up tomorrow (now today) a.m. at 10:30.
Below was only two sentences of four pages of instructions. Oh great. Cattle Dog Strong will have to be supressed for the next two months. Maybe we should ship Poppy off for a bit?

Activity:
Please restrict Maverick's activity for at least the next 8 weeks while his surgery site heals. Do not allow him to run, jump, go up and down stairs on his own, up and down off a bed, etc.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FB says quinoa is in, rice is out. I never had it until yesterday. She cooked up 1 cup of quinoa, made something that was similar to malt-o-meal for breakfast, it was really good. Then she used the rest for dinner. It was like a chicken broccoli egg, white cheddar cheese, crunchy onions casserole. But instead of rice she used quinoa, all but the quinoa and cheese was grown or raised here. It also was very good and filling. No adverse effects for both of us and I didn't crave something to eat before bedtime, which is highly unusual for me.
Screenshot_20240924_102043_Gallery.jpg

Anyone here incorporated quinoa into their diet?

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've used it before, still do on occasion. It's bland, so works with most anything. Protein good. Nutritionally good. Not my first go to but, I have it here in stock. Then, I don't eat a lot of rice, either. Fiber things are necessary when we hmmmm, age. 😁 I like chili & rice. Quinoa is great in soups, stuffed peppers, meatloaf. Useful & healthy old grain.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
from my FB post:

Mavee (Maverick) got thru the surgery for his leg. They put in a plate and 7 screws. We pick him up tomorrow (now today) a.m. at 10:30.
Below was only two sentences of four pages of instructions. Oh great. Cattle Dog Strong will have to be supressed for the next two months. Maybe we should ship Poppy off for a bit?

Activity:
Please restrict Maverick's activity for at least the next 8 weeks while his surgery site heals. Do not allow him to run, jump, go up and down stairs on his own, up and down off a bed, etc.
oh my goodness, that's a challenge! how is it going?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, sun up with coffee is nice 🙂

Goats....yes, they follow you and happily show the "escape route" 😂 Sure you don't need a few?

Here it's getting daylight but, overcast. Raining south of me and supposedly heading east, off shore. I'm good with that! 😁. Coffee is good, sun or not. Still, sunny is better mood lifter.
I could use some goats to clean out some under brush on a steep bank. But I don't want to keep them, only just long enough to feed them real well, then send them back home. That's about all they do is eat, isn't it?

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think quinoa is best with some spicy and flavorful. That way it covers the saponin taste that I hate. I've noticed different brands are washed better than others to remove it.
FB told me she washed it first, so what your saying makes sense to me now. I asked her if she could cook it in her rice cooker, she said she would try. If so that would be nice and easy. Anyways it's taco Tuesday so no quinoa this evening.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
from my FB post:

Activity:

I know you'll do your best. 8 weeks goes by fast, nowadays.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter ... You could hot wire that bank you want cleaned and goats would love you for the browse. Borrow your neighbors goats. If trained to collar & tie out, that would work with supervision for their safety.👍

@murphysranch I hope Maverick is doing well. First few days he'll probably by quieter, then the soreness will subside and the fun begins! 🥰 No doubt you'll figure it out!

Today's weather is more gloom & rain. All week event and continuing thru weekend, thanks Helene for adding to it 😵‍💫. This was a no job week, which feels wasted. So it goes 🤷

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My 2 yr old cattle dog is zonked out. He gets carprofin (sp?), gabapentin and Trazadone. Space Cadet for sure.

I'm to use cold and warm compresses on the incision. Wiggle his toes. Begin light stretching. I ordered a sling cus we have three exits at this home and all have stairs. Using a towel is a PITA.

Son gave me $1000 towards the bill, which I was pleased with.

It will be work, but since I gave up one afternoon at the food bank in order to take a weekly on line class to become a Master Canner, I'll be home more.

Thank you all for caring and asking how he's doing.:love