Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My 2 yr old cattle dog is zonked out. He gets carprofin (sp?), gabapentin and Trazadone. Space Cadet for sure.

I'm to use cold and warm compresses on the incision. Wiggle his toes. Begin light stretching. I ordered a sling cus we have three exits at this home and all have stairs. Using a towel is a PITA.

Son gave me $1000 towards the bill, which I was pleased with.

It will be work, but since I gave up one afternoon at the food bank in order to take a weekly on line class to become a Master Canner, I'll be home more.

Thank you all for caring and asking how he's doing.:love
I had to look up the Master Canner program. That is looks like something really cool. Too bad I am not a kept man, that would be an interesting hobby for me. Let me know how it goes for you

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My 2 yr old cattle dog is zonked out. He gets carprofin (sp?), gabapentin and Trazadone. Space Cadet for sure.

I'm to use cold and warm compresses on the incision. Wiggle his toes. Begin light stretching. I ordered a sling cus we have three exits at this home and all have stairs. Using a towel is a PITA.

Son gave me $1000 towards the bill, which I was pleased with.

It will be work, but since I gave up one afternoon at the food bank in order to take a weekly on line class to become a Master Canner, I'll be home more.

Thank you all for caring and asking how he's doing.:love

Towels really don't work the best. I had a sling for Athena. Donated that to the vet because they will give it to someone who needed it.

Zeus had broke his leg at 5 months. It's very hard keeping a hyper dog calm

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been up since 3:30, drank all the coffee. Sending hugs to Maverick, hope he does well with healing. His predicament made me go look up when my dog Sentry had surgery for hip dysplasia. I cut a grocery bag down the sides and used that for a sling. I had to keep him in a dog crate in the house for awhile, then a 6’x6’ pen in the barn. Therapy every day, many walks on a leash so he didn’t run and hurt himself. It was several months of therapy. Today, almost 5 years later, he runs hard, works hard and has only a slight hitch in his git-along.
Maverick will do well with the love and care you give him. He will recover and run and play again.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maverick has been a good boy. Not licking or bothering the 6" incision. Using the leg most of the time. I gave up on using a towel to get him up and down the four steps to the grass. I had ordered a sling, but I'll return it. The biggest issue from here on will be keeping the puppy from wanting to play so much. She needs some outside excercise with Mav locked inside.

I have started my "Master Food Preserver" class. Yesterday it was from 11 - 3, via zoom. There are about 20 classmates. We have homework and a quiz after every class. Its every Wednesday at that time for the next 9 weeks. Its put on by Washington state univ and local counties to try to resurrect SAFE canning dehydrating and freeze drying processes. No rebel canners.

Yesterday's class was about food safety. It was a good refresher for my old brain from grad school in the late 70's.

I did learn why we are told to blanch veggies before we freeze them. Its to stop the enzymatic breakdown process, otherwise they continue to deteroriate in the freezer.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Getting up at 6:30, as part of the daily routine, feeling sad it's pitch black outside. Enjoyed my summer morning coffee watching the sunrise. Only 6 months to wait until I can do it again
I thought you were retired??

I was going to say, you should just sleep until the sun comes up! :clap

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maverick has been a good boy. Not licking or bothering the 6" incision. Using the leg most of the time. I gave up on using a towel to get him up and down the four steps to the grass. I had ordered a sling, but I'll return it. The biggest issue from here on will be keeping the puppy from wanting to play so much. She needs some outside excercise with Mav locked inside.

I have started my "Master Food Preserver" class. Yesterday it was from 11 - 3, via zoom. There are about 20 classmates. We have homework and a quiz after every class. Its every Wednesday at that time for the next 9 weeks. Its put on by Washington state univ and local counties to try to resurrect SAFE canning dehydrating and freeze drying processes. No rebel canners.

Yesterday's class was about food safety. It was a good refresher for my old brain from grad school in the late 70's.

I did learn why we are told to blanch veggies before we freeze them. Its to stop the enzymatic breakdown process, otherwise they continue to deteroriate in the freezer.
I am surprised they didn't give you drugs for him.

When my son sliced his foot open... there was nothing I could do to keep him off that foot! He would not be kept still!

The canning class sounds great.

Last edited: