Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm lazy this morning. Its cold and foggy outside, but it's clearing off. Neighbor Robert is supposed to come over this morning, we're going to clean out the sheep barn. He thinks he'll just use the tractor to scoop it up. Boy do I have news for him. I'm giving it to him for his garden, been telling him for 2-3 months to git 'er done. But he's been dragging A$$. Now or never.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And you get night sweats and wake up in a puddle, wet cold sheets. But if you can tough it out and not run crying to the doctor for hormones, pills or whatever women do, it all goes away. I drank soy milk. Sometimes I would go a week and not want any, sometimes a small glass, sometimes I drank nearly the whole half gallon. Eh.
I had early mesopause, it was over by age 50,
then back in 2010 I had a hysterotomy-- I didnt ever take any replacement hormones
I felt it was important to let your body do its thing and not mess with it / confuse it, I felt it could make thing worse, delay everything.
but everyone is different

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm lazy this morning. Its cold and foggy outside, but it's clearing off. Neighbor Robert is supposed to come over this morning, we're going to clean out the sheep barn. He thinks he'll just use the tractor to scoop it up. Boy do I have news for him. I'm giving it to him for his garden, been telling him for 2-3 months to git 'er done. But he's been dragging A$$. Now or never.
I hate procrastination!
drives me nuts, :heo_O 😎

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After the move and things are back to normal, I want to go to one of the Fisheries up in Port Townsend Key City Fish and get fish to can,, I WILL be asking for help from you, I dont want to mess it up🤪 cuz like,, it could happen :caf

It's really stupid simple. I marked a line with a knife on my bubble breaker/measurer for the length the fish needs to be to leave 1 inch headspace. Add salt and pack it in. Use less salt than recommended for taste. I find the amount too salty. Some does taste better.

Wide mouth half pints would be easiest to deal with and remove the fish from.

The bloodline on tuna is very strong tasting and dark. I usually can it for the dog. Often I get a lot extra if I have the seller fillet for me.

Tuna is the easiest fish to do on your own. Clean fish. Cut down both sides of backbone and cut behind collar. Cut off front belly on each side. Peel skin off. Run finger down muscle divide on side to the ribs. Run finger down backbone to ribs and gently pull top loin off ribs. Do same to bottom loin. Flip and do other side. No bones in the fish.

I cut collar from the head and smoke it and the belly separately. The belly is super fatty. Both get the salmon brine and are usually froze for later. Mom always confuses the tuna belly for salmon. I have taken her salmon before.

A trick on firming the fish up some is to low simmer or sous vide it in the vaccum sealer bag for a couple minutes. Makes it easier to use for appetizers. Or if serving for dinner, it can be heated up that way.

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's really stupid simple. I marked a like with a knife on my bubble breaker/measurer for the length the fish needs to be to leave 1 inch headspace. Add salt and pack it in. Use less salt than recommended for taste. I find the amount too salty. Some does taste better.

Wide mouth half pints would be easiest to deal with and remove the fish from.

The bloodline on tuna is very strong tasting and dark. I usually can it for the dog. Often I get a lot extra if I have the seller fillet for me.

Tuna is the easiest fish to do on your own. Clean fish. Cut down both sides of backbone and cut behind collar. Cut off front belly on each side. Peel skin off. Run finger down muscle divide on side to the ribs. Run finger down backbone to ribs and gently pull top loin off ribs. Do same to bottom loin. Flip and do other side. No bones in the fish.

I cut collar from the head and smoke it and the belly separately. The belly is super fatty. Both get the salmon brine and are usually froze for later. Mom always confuses the tuna belly for salmon. I have taken her salmon before.

A trick on firming the fish up some is to low simmer or sous vide it in the vaccum sealer bag for a couple minutes. Makes it easier to use for appetizers. Or if serving for dinner, it can be heated up that way.
I am excited to try,

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a chicken thawing out for soup,
Kind of a can't do much day,
I'll get the hutch all boxed up and all of the DVD's
We need to attempt to take the top of the table off, the thing is Solid, very heavy,
And then I think I have the house packed

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a chicken thawing out for soup,
Kind of a can't do much day,
I'll get the hutch all boxed up and all of the DVD's
We need to attempt to take the top of the table off, the thing is Solid, very heavy,
And then I think I have the house packed
Congrats on packing accomplishment - that's a lot of work!

You've reminded me I have one whole chicken left in my freezer. I'm going to thaw it. Or.... I might just throw it into my Instant Pot whole and frozen.