Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So my rant for today I posted to Facebook as well.

I always wonder what is actually in the so called "bone broth" they sell in stores. It's liquid. Mines only liquid when hot.

Even at room temperature the stuff I make needs a spoon to eat it. It slices really well when refrigerated.

So what is in those boxes and bottles? Bones are full of collagen. That's most of the point of bone broth. If they remove all the collagen to keep it liquid, what's the point?
My bone broth is liquid. I cook it for 24-48 hours. I use bones without meat on them and a lot of water - and I'll use the bones over and over until they're spent. The collagen is there (in mine) just too dilute to gel.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My bone broth is liquid. I cook it for 24-48 hours. I use bones without meat on them and a lot of water - and I'll use the bones over and over until they're spent. The collagen is there (in mine) just too dilute to gel.

You must use way more water than I do. I prefer to just toss the bones in a crockpot and cook until the bones crumble. I only cover them by an inch or so

Sometimes I roast them first for more flavor.

Usually I portion it out and freeze to add to soups.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read that article. Good info. I do sometimes use the pressure cooker. I don't add an acid because that's not how I was taught to make it and it tastes a bit odd to me just because it's not what Im used to.

I prefer knuckle bones for beef broth. I use neck bones along with them when making stock, or actual meaty soup bones.

I actually tossed the oxtail bones back in after the meat was cooked and removed last night and cooked them in the pressure cooker for another few hours. I think I should start giving the bone crumbles to the chickens. Usually the dogs get some.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow evening I'm going to get dressed in fancy clothes and smelling all pretty. I'm taking Farm Babe to a Merry Christmas concert.

The commercial below is a standing joke with my adult children. According to them, it's the reason why they were conceived.

I just checked the top of the bottle, it's dusty, I shook the bottle a little, there's still some in there. It's been a long while since I opened it. Who knows what may happen when I slap some of this stuff my face.

Marketing Departments 🙄

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good morning all,
it snowed and slushed all day, and I am not sure what it did all night the gutter dripping was loud but the new snow it STILL on the coop :he

I went out at 11 till 3pm and pulled heave wet snow off the top of the coop and over hang,,,, sorry DH, no the snow did NOT just slide off :old

:cafI woke up at 3, I was cold, so I have both wood stoves going, made coffee, splurged this morning and put CocoWhip in my coffee,

image_16875265.JPG

Its rain all day- I'll still have to go out and pull last evenings slush off the coop roof
this was at 4pm yesterday, yes I know, it is what it is, Groundhog Day from now until February 2
image_67159041.JPG

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hello insomnia, my old friend. It's been a while. What prompted your visit last night?

Im sorry. I hate those nights.

At least it wasn't a crying german shepherd who apparently wanted more treats and wouldn't shut up no matter how many times I let her outside. About every 30 minutes. When I did fall asleep, the whines penetrated my sleep and I tried to put her outside in dreams.

I gave sone treats to try and shut her up for a few. She's now silent