Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just put 1/2 gal fresh milk into freezer to fast chill. First time I've milked this yr 😕. BUT her kids were nursing up until yesterday...so still making it. 🥰. I'll keep her milking and check preg status in next couple days. Then I can decide when to dry her off. Until then, fresh milk & more cheese. :drool. Might add 2 more to the routine. I have a customer who will buy it. $8 gal pays for some feed.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just put 1/2 gal fresh milk into freezer to fast chill. First time I've milked this yr 😕. BUT her kids were nursing up until yesterday...so still making it. 🥰. I'll keep her milking and check preg status in next couple days. Then I can decide when to dry her off. Until then, fresh milk & more cheese. :drool. Might add 2 more to the routine. I have a customer who will buy it. $8 gal pays for some feed.
Do you never milk with the kids still on?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you never milk with the kids still on?
Nope, not this year! I just have too many. To sort out and separate just a few to milk is futile...chaos in the herd! Years past, with only a few I have.

I also have only pulled & bottle fed once. Might do that in future, when I'm down to 4 instead of 40. :lol: when I have all meat in one group and only a few dairy to handle. I don't milk all my dairy...they produce kids only. It's the numbers I had & bred.

I'll keep some heavy meat bred doelings from dairy for meat herd and cut back my full dairy in next couple years. Focus on meat with the few full dairy for just milk. Separate feeding, pastures, etc. at some point I'll drop back to only a few dairy!! :old

Be 79 in Jan....thinking 80 may be my sell off year.😁🫣

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tank saw his first squirrel yesterday, he is NOT a fan.
Screenshot_20240915_223614_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This coastal system is moving inland -- rain & gloomy skies. Spotty light/heavy bands are set up for all day. 🥴. Started last night. What a downer. Lights on all over the house 🤣. I need happy light!

NC outer banks are getting a lot of wind & waves... Ferries not running, some roads washed over. Normal happenings in that area with these events. 🤷. Talk about "be prepared". On an island with no in or out. Not a place I'd live.

Goats are looking out of their barns. Not happy. 🙃

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Coffee is good this morning. It was so foggy that I couldn’t see the end of the driveway or the middle either. I slept late because I was awake a couple hours in the middle of the night. Why am I so wide awake and what wakes me up? Durned if I know but it sure is aggravating. I think I may tackle inside stuff today.

@Mini Horses based on your actions, I still have another 11 years before I downsize? I’m 69 and I’ll think about it when I turn 80. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: