Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree about the alfalfa. A round bale will weigh about 1100 to 1500 lbs and should cost about $50. That is a whole lot cheaper than paying the folks who are "taking advantage" of the situation because they know you "have to pay it" to feed your animals.
Dehydrated veggies won't hurt anything. You can feed them vegetable scraps from the kitchen, too. Believe me, they'll eat it.
No animal fat or products though. Just vegetables and the alfalfa will do just fine.

As for pellets, there is a guy who is making a machine that makes pellets very easily. It will make alfalfa pellets (500 lb/hour) and also make pellets that will burn in a corn/pellet stove. An article about this was in Farm Show recently. www.makeyourownpellets.com is his website.
His machine is a bit spendy, but if you get a few friends to go in on the deal, you will be able to make feed pellets as well as fuel pellets in such sufficient quantities that the machine will pay for itself in a year or LESS.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Talk about nuclear dreams.... a French company called Areva is moving in down the road a piece from us.... they will be producing enriched uranium for nuclear plants... its a huge huge project and ground breaking is in the spring....

Soon as things get flowing there get ready to start seeing nuclear electric plants going up in the US....

This may allow us to move to electric cars.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DuppyDo, I am not sure why my rabbits are not producing. It just seems the females arent taking. We leave them in for awhile and they do the
"Wally gator hop" :p and then ....nothing.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would love to feed the hay but our truck broke down (it was old and only thing we used it for was to haul stuff) and hubby forbids me to haul hay in our new van... :gig so that's why I'm stuck at the mercy of TSC for pellets...

as for rabbits not breeding I have the same issue with 2 gals of mine... someone suggested adding a spoonful of apple cidar vinegar in their water bottles each day for about a week... Said it puts them in the mood... I haven't' tried it yet but I have heard SEVERAL people recommend it so I'm planning on trying it soon when the weather gives a tad and I start to breed them again...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good gravy---I hit the grocery the other day and even with coupons I can barely keep that stupid grocery bill low.......

what the heck do I buy?

LOL

I have to seriously check what I am buying. It never seems like alot, but at checkout I can't believe 6 bags is like $110

what the?

:lol: :p

I told Tony we are cutting down to super basic meals. I have to admit I am a spender on food, but this cost with gas prices rising again is eating out the old wallet very fast.

I gotta revamp our eating. sucks but I gotta lol

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
this cost with gas prices rising again
i KNOW.. our gas went up to $2.99

we are glad to have a really low grocery bill. we spend the most money on dog/cat food. but now them pigz are hangin'.. the dogs will be eating for free for a while.

whoooot!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea my barn cats are getting way less dry cat food and more leftovers too....when I have the nastier cuts of meat I would just save parts for broth, flavoring gravy etc etc but I decided to stick it in the microwave and feed the cats LOL

hey less food to buy and I still get plenty for my broths and the cats eat great

I hear ya tho...pets can be super expensive when the pennies are pinching

we are at $2.96 right now and I dread seeing that $3. mark
yikes

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We're at $2.83 right now. I'm hoping to ride my motorcycle a whole lot more next year. Right now, it's a bit too cold.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thank goodness for the wood stove. I have the thermostat set at 50. It is quite cold in here in the morning and when we are gone all day! DH drives an hour and a half for work M-F.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
DuppyDo, I am not sure why my rabbits are not producing. It just seems the females arent taking. We leave them in for awhile and they do the
"Wally gator hop" :p and then ....nothing.
If your does have too much fat on their insides, they won't take. Put them in the buck's cage every day or every other day for a week or two. You will have a very tired but happy buck and either a pregnant or pissed off doe.