Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yes, it is. But it is January and we have time to prepare. Thinking of increasing your garden space? Do it. Considering getting chickens, duck or quail? Do it. Your church discussing a garden ministry? Do it.
Yeah we're increasing in all numbers. Im adding 6 hens and replacing 6. Then I may add 2 ducks. The garden is getting expanded. Plus all animal feed is gonna be made here with the exception of two things oats (which I feed in the winter only) and pellets (which I may find a natural substitute). Im also doing meat rabbits soon ( I have a prego rabbit) the meat ducks, and meat chickens. I also try to keep two months supply of feed right now I have:

3 Bags of Corn
2 Bags of BOSS
3 Bags of Pellets
2 Bags of Flock Raiser
1 Bag of Oats (I forgot to get an extra bag)

I need to get bale of hay soon.

Im also gonna work on preserving more food........dry beans and cold storage apples to.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am going to buy a new thermostat for my homemade bator and get hatching on the quail for meat. Garden beds were increased in size last fall, but still need work before I can plant in them.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This is also the last year I plan on buying chicks. After this year Im gonna let broody hens hatch my layer chicks because I want more SS hens anyway. But I guess I will have to buy my meat chicks unless I can get a broody duck to do the job sucessfully. I forgot to mention that my chickens are now tagged that way I can keep track of them. The ones I see laying in the winter are noted down in my records. That way everyone earns their keep..........

Wifezilla

Reaction score
:thumbsup

I also give away seed packets to people who want to start gardening, give them the link to www.theeasygarden.com and give them tips.

The more people who can do for themselves the less crap like this effects your region.

One more thing I am going to try is raising Australian red claws (basically big crayfish) in my pond and stock tank.

I have 4 lbs of chufa seed tubers on the way. Chufa can be used for animal feed, people feed, or oil.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I just went down to the coop and got the numbers of the hens who were not shivering. And put them in my records.

I know you raise Duck weed, how hard is that to raise? Chufa?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Any idea how much wheat it would take to feed 25 Chickens, 5 Ducks, and 3 Rabbits? I may have a place for a wheat field..........In addition to other things to.......

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I never looked in to it since my lot is so small. Do you know the closest extension office to you? I bet they have yield info on their website.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I never looked in to it since my lot is so small. Do you know the closest extension office to you? I bet they have yield info on their website.
I may need to check that out...................

NVM my Backyard Homestead book has wheat growing in it........

Wifezilla

Reaction score
"I dont care if youre rich or poor, liberal or conservative. If we dont fix the problems in front of us, everybody is going to pay a significant price.

The history of republics is they average 200 years of life. And they all fail in the history over fiscal matters. They rot from within before they collapse or are attacked."

Tom Coburn

http://www.southernbread.org/tom-coburn-says-apocalyptic-pain-is-coming/