Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Even though my climate is different (semi-arid, high altitude, short growing season), I think my philosophy would work for you too. Grow heirloom, non-hybrid foods that you can save seeds from year after year, and you can eat as well as your animals.

I am trying 2 varieties of amaranth (one for seeds, one for greens), chufa, and quinoa this year. If figure if I don't like them, they will make excellent duck & quail food. If I do like them, I will share :D

Other things I know I can grow...

Mini melons (great for eating, making wine and selling or trading)
Tomatoes (if I use a wall-o-water - My duck Shelley LOVES tomatoes)
Strawberries (same as melons)
cucumbers (easy to pickle and the ducks like these. They get the ends.)
Beans (easy to can or dry)
Squash (store long term, we love them. The animals love them. Very nutritious.)

As for the fruit trees, are you SURE you are lacking space? I have a very small yard and have 2 dwarf apple trees, a pear tree, and 2 grape vines.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Why not grow a few dwarf trees in big pots? that way you can put them out front and have no worries about the roots... Sure they won't get quite as big as if they were in the ground but they still produce! I have a banana, pomagranite, orange, lemon and tangerine all in pots (they are tropical and can't take our cold winters so I planted them in pots and bring them in in the winter!)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
Why not grow a few dwarf trees in big pots? that way you can put them out front and have no worries about the roots... Sure they won't get quite as big as if they were in the ground but they still produce! I have a banana, pomagranite, orange, lemon and tangerine all in pots (they are tropical and can't take our cold winters so I planted them in pots and bring them in in the winter!)
do all of them produce pretty well? Was it worth the initial investment? This is what I want to do too :D I have blueberries so far but want some citrus!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
CrimsonRose said:
do all of them produce pretty well? Was it worth the initial investment? This is what I want to do too :D I have blueberries so far but want some citrus!
I just got two more dwarf trees from costco for under 12 bucks each. :) Self pollinating too.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Wannabefree said:
CrimsonRose said:
I just got two more dwarf trees from costco for under 12 bucks each. :) Self pollinating too.
:hit I don't have a Costco!!!!!!!! Ship me some trees :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Do you have a lowes?

I picked up one at lowes for $17. :D (A dwarf bing cherry...its so cute!)
Don't tell me that...I'm about to actually have some cash....DH is gonna kill me..Oh who cares right? :weee :weee :weee :weee