Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Produce prices skyrocket with freeze in Mexico, Southwest

"Get ready to pay double or even triple the price for fresh produce in the coming weeks after the worst freeze in 60 years damaged and wiped out entire crops in northern Mexico and the southwestern U.S. "

And our new dehydrator is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday. We have been planning to purchase produce and dry enough to last until harvest. I guess I'll run out and see what I can get this evening (hopefully) before the prices go up too much.

:barnie

Edited because some big dummie hit the Submit button instead of the Preview Button.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Winter clothing is going on sale now. Get what you think you will need NEXT YEAR NOW!

"Cotton has more than doubled in price over the past year, hitting all-time highs. The price of other synthetic fabrics has jumped roughly 50 percent as demand for alternatives and blends has risen.

Clothing prices are expected to rise about 10 percent in coming months, with the biggest increases coming in the second half of the year, said Burt Flickinger III president of Strategic Resource Group."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/get-ready-clothing-prices-set-to-rise-10-this-spring/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh I always do that

70% off sales of any clothing season and I am there to buy A FEW things to round me out and the family

so no worries about next winter, there is RARELY ever a time I don't find a sale of 50% or more on clothes....lol

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Meh, I don't buy clothes from clothing stores hardly at all. (Exception: socks, underwear, and Carhartt womens' jeans, but the latter I mail-order anyways)

I find it really hard to get DECENT quality clothing for a price I am willing to pay these days, unless i shop thrift stores. So that is where nearly all of my clothing comes from (not that I buy *that* much clothes, I mean, but you know). Sure, 95% of the stuff on thrift store racks is the same flimsy poorly-sewn bad-fitting stuff in the aforementioned stores... BUT maybe 5% is actual GOOD clothing, marked down to very cheap.

Admittedly the ratio of time spent hunting per usable garment bought is pretty high compared to walking into a clothing store... but considering I can seldom even FIND brand-new clothing I'd want to buy, I'm quite happy with fishing the thrift store pool :p

Pat

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I buy fabric. LOL. And my fabric store already sent out a flier saying prices are increases on a specific date so buy now if you still want it at this price.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Meh, I don't buy clothes from clothing stores hardly at all. (Exception: socks, underwear, and Carhartt womens' jeans, but the latter I mail-order anyways)

I find it really hard to get DECENT quality clothing for a price I am willing to pay these days, unless i shop thrift stores. So that is where nearly all of my clothing comes from (not that I buy *that* much clothes, I mean, but you know). Sure, 95% of the stuff on thrift store racks is the same flimsy poorly-sewn bad-fitting stuff in the aforementioned stores... BUT maybe 5% is actual GOOD clothing, marked down to very cheap.

Admittedly the ratio of time spent hunting per usable garment bought is pretty high compared to walking into a clothing store... but considering I can seldom even FIND brand-new clothing I'd want to buy, I'm quite happy with fishing the thrift store pool :p

Pat
Ditto. I get the family's shoes, undies and socks new. All else is from thrift stores, where I find really nice clothes. I guess they come from people shopping at nicer stores than where I look for clothes occasionally, as the stores I look in have really cheaply made junk!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am a thrift store shopper too, but sometimes something new marked down is cheaper than the thrift store.

It does help to know your brands. I am wearing some lee riders ($5) and a pair of Merrill shoes right now ($9) both from goodwill.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The last time I went into Goodwill, they were so worried about someone coming in and buying stuff to sell on ebay that they'd priced themselves right out of getting my business. I'm sure there are still some great bargains to be had and I see the one close to us has a big sale day every now and again where everything is 50% off so that would put them back in my price range again but I'm not going to pay 12 bucks for a cheap pair of made in China jeans at Goodwill when I can get that same cheap pair of made in China NEW jeans at Target for 8 bucks. Just not happening.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
abifae said:
I buy fabric. LOL. And my fabric store already sent out a flier saying prices are increases on a specific date so buy now if you still want it at this price.
Now THAT is something you can't get decent of anymore, at any price... FABRIC. Seems like virtually everything at Joannes or whatever is lousy. Yet expensive.

When my stash runs out, I'm in deep trouble. The stuff I see at thrift stores and garage sales is usually good quality but pretty weird or gotten moldy.

Pat