Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Sysco declares force majeure, raises grocery prices

"On Feb. 8, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reported prices of $22.95-24.95 for two-layer cartons of 44, 55 and 56 vine-ripe field-grown tomatoes from Mexico, up from $6.95-9.95 the week before and $5.95-7.95 the year before."

Hmmm... I think that I may go out and buy some more tomatoes to run through the dehydrator.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm just going to plant more in the garden this year.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL

I need to work on a wick system for abi :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
We have contacts that help out the migrant tomato workers in Mexico.
The crops are total loss due to a heavy freeze last week. The workers have been displaced as well.

We have a super hard time growing tomatoes up here, and rarely by fresh, but we are going to stock up on sauce tomorrow, so as to be ahead of the game.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
We have contacts that help out the migrant tomato workers in Mexico.
The crops are total loss due to a heavy freeze last week. The workers have been displaced as well.

We have a super hard time growing tomatoes up here, and rarely by fresh, but we are going to stock up on sauce tomorrow, so as to be ahead of the game.
Thanks, BB. Going back to look at my gardening plan...still have enough canned tomato stuff from last year. *whew*

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hey BB, I've heard of people in colder climates using old freezers as a way to extend the growing season. Would that work for you?