Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Boogity said:
In the not-so-distant future China will either support one of our enemies or declare war themselves on the USA. This will be the biggest and most devastating war the world has ever seen. Many, if not all, of the countries that share the hatred for the USA will join and support China. The USA will not survive.
When I read this, I was reminded of a wargame (*cough* Conflict Simulation Game *cough, cough*) I have from the '70s - Invasion: America The global scenario was that by the late 1990's North America (Canada, USA, and Mexico had basically merged) were being assaulted by 3 forces a European Union, a South American Union, and a Pan-Asian League.

At least against my buddies, whenever I had control of the North American forces, we survived. :)
China and anyone else who wants to can declare war against the US. I'm sure they all think they have a 'good reason' but in the great analyisis, while they have billions of people and a huge army, what they don't have is a delivery system to move all those folks from China to the US.

We all know that within a very short time, we'd see them coming "One if by land and two if by sea" only much more sophisticated. Can't imagine we'd allow that "delivery system" to survive the trip across the "mote".

In the rare event that ANYONE thinks we wouldn't use "what we got" to defend ourselves, they are SORELY MISTAKEN. Ask the folks in Hiroshima about that.

To top it off, even if they COULD get here, every American household has at least one firearm and despite what the liberal (read:communists) might want to do to this country, no one in this country is going to give up their guns without a fight. That is JUST THE WAY IT IS...not my declaration. So, to think we are "not going to survive" is just plain shortsighted. We have never lost when it came to protecting ourselves from a force hell-bent on destroying the United States of America. We've taken some serious beatings but have always and WILL always survive. That is what makes us unique in the history of the world.

We even won in Viet Nam although the liberal (communist owned) MSM denies it. We were sent there to stop the spread of communism in SE Asia and that is exactly what happened. Even the USSR fell. Evil politics not withstanding has not been able to conquer the American Spirit which has always been willing to fight and die to protect our freedom.

Don't give up on us yet, folks. I'd be willing to bet my farm that none of you are ready to give up your freedom and live in China or be dominated by them. While you may not want to admit it, you are all unwilling to capitulate to that type of tyranny or you wouldn't be even considering being SS. That is the first thing the folks who would declare war on the US" would go after; i.e. anyone who wants to "think for themselves". We'd all be prime targets and I'd be willing to bet none of you are interested in being told what to do by a more oppressive governmental group than what we have now.

Naw, I'm not worried about the Chinese, or any of the rest of them.
I'm worried about what goes on inside the US rather than what goes on OUTSIDE the US.

YMMV
//BT//
trim sends

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Food Costs Seen Reaching a Record High This Year as Inflation Accelerates

Biofuels, including ethanol, are a factor, but a relatively minor one in food costs, Michael Baroni, vice president of economic policy at Decatur, Illinois-based ADM, said in an e-mail.

When 40% of the corn produced in this country goes to fuel and corn prices have doubled over the last year, I'm at a loss to understand how it can be said that the rising price of corn will only be a small part of food inflation.

Today we received notice of a 15% increase in the cost of the 50 pound sacks of organic corn that we buy for our consumption. That's on top of a 40% increase over the last six months.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
here's a kick in the nads for me and mine...

A 50lb bag of rabbit feed used 10.49, now it's 14.49 6 months later..... Guess that we won't be keeping as many breeding does over the winter months when they aren't in production. We will grow/harvest enough feed for them, and when they and babies run out, we butcher. And this is just plain 'ole alfalfa pellets...

Don't get me started on the price of corn :rant

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
here's a kick in the nads for me and mine...
dang, Boyd, i love it when you are around!

earlier this week i paid over $30 for goat chow. one of these gals has got to go. we've pass the intersection of where they are making cents. and with this weather - no one will be cutting hay anytime soon. sheesh!

and dont get me started on the $4.14 i paid for gas yesterday. actually i had a discount down to $2.50...it still cost me about $70 to fill up the big truck. unfortunately you cant haul a ton of gravel in a prius.

WZ - i was wondering when someone would start counting the farming cost for those storms - and dont forget all the flooding. no one here is planting and we are all twitching because of it.

i'm gonna start taking a sack of chickens down to the gas station - maybe i can trade?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We will be firing up the incubator again in about two weeks, spacing the hatches six weeks apart. One heat lamp is enough. I hope to sell most of the next batch of chicks, but if not, freezer camp! Gotta get out there and plant!

Even dh asked me....ASKED ME!....where to dig for the strawberry patch. I usually have to beg for help when it comes to digging. I'm the farmer, he's the cityboy. He is coming along nicely, however. The farm stuff is still my venue, and I'm not complaining.....but with a bit of help, boy, what we could produce!

We will be gleaning maniacs this fall, hopefully will glean enough to make a dent in the feed bill all winter. Last year we gleaned mainly to get the pigs fed, then stopped. This year, I hope to have every beam in my little barn hung with braids of ear corn drying, and the cellar full of gleaned pumpkins and roots from the garden. And bottles of wine, of course. We may not be eating a lot of fruit in February but we will be happy! :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
The recent tornados took out hundreds of chicken houses. So how much do you think this will effect the price of chicken over the summer?

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...n-deaths-leave-state-poultry-industry-reeling
Seeing that there was a huge oversupply of grow houses (our locals were limited to less than 40% of capacity) they easily COULD replace the capacity lost in other states. The big question is what do the main suppliers WANT to do? They have been complaining for the last 3 years that the raise in grain prices have made it impossible for all except the most efficient to make a profit at the price people are used to paying for chicken meat. I and many of the growers think they will short the market until demand raises the retail price 5-10%. Of that 1% may go to the farmers, about 3% to transport (those refrig trucks burn a lot of gas) Another 2% should cover increased feed prices. How much margin the big producers want and gas and feed price increases will drive prices beyond that,

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
We eat so little meat around here that not much is going to change in our budget for it. (not me- I am a carnivore! But, SO can't eat pig because they are cute, can't eat chicken because we have chickens and they have names, don't like turkey, neither of us like lamb or mutton. Beef is still sometimes OK. Because we don't have a cow. Yet. I have a round roast in the freezer for me to make into jerky when I have a couple of days so I have some meat to gnaw on)

I have just yesterday! gotten permission to order more chicks for egg layers! WOOT! to supplement our 6 year old hens who do give us the occasional egg. So we will have egg protein in our diets. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have been pulling weeds and other greens like crazy to supplement the feed for the goats and chickens. We are trying to stretch our feedbill as far as possible. I will also plant more feed for the critters. Every year I have planted more for them than the year before. It does really help.

We have been stocking up on stuff we cannot produce ourselves and that we need. Sugar, salt, white vinegar (we use it for all kinds of stuff other than in food) and other stuff. Over the past few years, we have learned to make so much sutuff ourselves or somehow make do. We keep trying new and creative ways to aquire the things we need. We are managing.

We learned a lot from the people on this forum and the support has been a big help too. It is nice not to be alone in a lifestyle like this.

Of course, if I did have the money, I would often just as gladly go out and purchase what I need. In my comunity it is pretty easy to get good quality product, food or otherwise, produced locally and by independent businesses.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hate weeds...wish weeds were a profitable crop LOL

Latest posts