Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Boogity, et. al.
I know, yesterday I was kind of all over the place but I did mean what I said about the debt. Just decide on a day and tell the rest of the world, "I'm sorry, you'll just have to 'write-off" our debt and start over. We're declaring a "bank holiday (bankruptcy)" on this debt based on the amount of money we have given all of you in the past." So, just suck it up and move on!

Frankly, I'm tired of being "threatened" with debt until long after my (if I ever get any) grandchildren or great grandchildren are all long gone.

I have made a decided practice of eliminating debt from my existence. Everything I own is paid for when I buy it with real money. I don't owe money to anyone other than the usual monthly expenditures of food, etc. and those are all paid when they are due and not carried into another month. If I can't afford it, I don't buy it which keeps things fairly close to the table if you know what I mean.

While my personal fiscal policy does NOT appear to be held in common by the Congress of the United States, it is MY policy and they could certainly learn from it.

We have (for the most part) been aculturated to live in debt. I find that unconscionable. It is time we stopped doing it. It is time we stopped "trading" with people who flood our market with goods and accept nothing in return to offset the cost of those goods. We pay for what we get but for some reason they don't seem to get the money so they add it to our bill. I don't get that. Insurance companies and folks without money tell me to "just write it off" so why can't we tell the rest of the worlds bankers to "JUST WRITE IT OFF" and start over?

When the price of my corn and beans per bushel equals the price of their "Oil" by the barrel, I will be ready to see more of their side.

In addition, if we are loaning Brazil $2B to drill for oil that they are contracted to sell ALL of to the Chinese, my question is "Why not let the Chinese lend them the money instead of us? I just don't get that one.

Anyway, since I am NOT counting my chickens until they hatch, I am pleased to report that I did get two more peeps over the past 24 hours. I had to help both of them emerge but they appear to be OK just the same. I'll let the other eggs set for a while longer before I give up on them...Up to 5 now...

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Boogity sez..." Many,if not all,countries with hatred for the US will join and support China. The USA will not survive.."
I very seriously doubt any country will survive if it comes to that.! Their would be so many nuke weapons flying across the planet, the world would be finished.Our allies with nuke weapons,Israel, France and a few others would get dragged into the 3rd and final world war ...game over for all mankind....IMO

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Boogity said:
In the not-so-distant future China will either support one of our enemies or declare war themselves on the USA. This will be the biggest and most devastating war the world has ever seen. Many, if not all, of the countries that share the hatred for the USA will join and support China. The USA will not survive.
When I read this, I was reminded of a wargame (*cough* Conflict Simulation Game *cough, cough*) I have from the '70s - Invasion: America The global scenario was that by the late 1990's North America (Canada, USA, and Mexico had basically merged) were being assaulted by 3 forces a European Union, a South American Union, and a Pan-Asian League.

At least against my buddies, whenever I had control of the North American forces, we survived. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"Federal forecasters left projected end-of-season corn supplies unchanged, surprising traders who have bid futures to record highs on concerns strong demand is draining inventories.

The estimate ran counter to a separate report last week from the U.S. Department of Agriculture that showed a larger-than-expected drop in grain supplies over the winter. The inventory data from March 31 sent corn futures to an all-time record above $7.70 a bushel."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...6250740738804256.html?mod=igoogle_wsj_gadgv1&

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/150844/south-park-calls-shenanigans

Wifezilla

Reaction score
""Many Washington policy makers ignore food and energy inflation because they're not part of the core inflation index. But these are very important to the average American family."

So what does this all mean for consumers? "Food and energy prices are going to continue rising for the indefinite future," Johnson says. Expect that high food prices will continue into the fall and possibly next winter, when "agricultural production expands in response to the higher food commodity prices," he explained."
http://www.walletpop.com/2011/04/23/brace-yourself-consumers-another-double-dip-recession/

Wifezilla

Reaction score
"Escalating energy prices and the steepest rise in food inflation in a generation -- amid a tenuous economy -- are conspiring to set the stage for a double dip recession, the report says.

If food and energy prices keep going up, a recession could possibly unfold in the third quarter of the year, Craig Johnson, CPG president, told WalletPop. However, it's important to keep in mind that "a recession depends on a variety of economic factors beyond these two," Johnson adds."
http://www.walletpop.com/2011/04/23/brace-yourself-consumers-another-double-dip-recession/

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Not surprising really...with the dollar losing value,floods/droughts causing shortages.Too many people in the world, competing for less resourses.Basically, its safe to say, lower food/energy prices as we've known them are a thing of the past.They weren't kidding when they said "This is the new world order "....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey, good news!!!! A couple I know on a fixed income got a letter from the food stamp (can't remember what it is called, it is really a debit card now) department saying that since food prices have gone down, their allotment is going down by $10 per month.

:th

I didn't know food prices went down, did you? Boy, am I out of touch! :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yeah no kidding eh?

I guess all those years of being poor and having to be creative financially are really about to pay off for me, huh?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I didn't know food prices went down, did you? Boy, am I out of touch! :rolleyes:
I must be out of touch too cause I didn't know that and apparently the grocery stores around here don't know it either. In just the last couple of months I've seen some big price JUMPS.

coffee 39oz can WAS 4.99 to 6.99 and NOW 8.49 to 9.79

flour 10lb bag WAS around 4.99 and NOW 6.49

sugar 5lb WAS 2.49 and NOW 3.99

and a few weeks ago I was looking at head lettuce that usually this time of year is 1 to 1.50 ea was up to 2.99, celery usually at 1.50 ea bunch/stalk now 1.59 LB, green peppers usually run about 1 to 1.50 ea (out of season) but now were 2.49 EACH

These prices are at my local favorite store, NOT the big chains. Chain prices are even more.

I will say SOME of those produce prices have come down a few cents since that shopping trip, but still much higher than in the past........OH WAIT.....silly me....maybe that's what they meant by lower prices....triple the normal prices, then drop by 1%??? (yeah right!!!)

Latest posts