Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DS got electricity back today - happy about that. Yay! Still a lot of places without. It's especially annoying when the traffic lights are out. P. I. A!

so many people just plain out forget how to deal with a four way stop...

DH had his pre-op visit yesterday. Got a call today that the anesthesiologist won't touch him. Flat out refuse. This is the same place where he had to have CPR after his carpal tunnel surgery. They suggest having it done at a "real" hospital with an ICU onsite. Sigh... nothing is easy with this man. Have to wait now for whatever the doc decides is the next step. Little bit of a bummer because we were expecting to get this behind us next week. Of course, I'd much rather be safe than sorry!

i can't blame him. i'm also surprised that they actually read up on his history as many docs don't seem to do that any more.

i guess they could tie him down, put a piece of wood in his teeth and try locals...

I'm slowly trying to whittle away at the downed tree in the backyard. Goats are still loving it. May take weeks at this rate! Also started assembly on the bunk/trundle bed. Managed to get through Step 4 of 30 steps, lol. Even better - in only 4 steps I managed to put one piece on upside down. Argh! At least I caught it before I had any more done.

that was what we had for many years for us three boys.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slept until 9:45! Absolutely unheard of for me - but yesterday was horrible in every way it could be. The night before was sleepless - so last night was a gift!

I need to fix a gate that's off it's hinges. I noticed it last night...don't even know when it happened because it's the gate into the hay storage area and is behind the barn. I only use it every few weeks when I put out a new bale. When I looked out the window this morning I don't see any goats....none. Only place they could be is in the hay area destroying as much as they can. ARGH! I need more of me. I can't go out until I get DH downstairs, medicated and fed. So, I guess the goats get a pass for an hour or so. Grrrrr!

Waiting on a call from the doc to see next steps forward. They can actually do this procedure with local anesthesia, but it's certainly not the norm.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oops - it's www.safesheds.com

@Finnie

Because it's not "just" a shed.

Some of the specs:
  • Steel reinforced concrete storm shelter with 6" thick floor and 4" thick walls and roof (see how it's made);
  • 8' x 10', weighing in at 24,000 lbs. (12 tons);
  • Stucco exterior with your choice of 42 paint colors to mix and match;
  • 3/16" thick debris-tested steel door with 3 locking points and one easy-to-operate handle;
  • LED motion-sensing lights to make entry at night easy and comforting;
  • 6' 8" of headroom for your comfort;
  • Spacious interior so you can add beds, recliners, pet cages, emergency supplies, or shelving;
  • Low threshold and wide door for easy entry with mobility scooters, wheelchairs, or walkers;
  • Installs quickly with no need for additional concrete pad, saving you money.
  • Meets FEMA Pub. 320 (2015)
It's also bolted down to the concrete driveway. It's not going anywhere. The following two pictures are what convinced me to buy this particular brand.

View attachment 26709

View attachment 26710

"Seven people took shelter in a Safe Sheds storm shelter before the full force of the tornado struck them directly. The EF4 tornado tossed a full-sized pickup truck against the door of the storm shelter, bending it completely in half around the steel-reinforced concrete building before dropping it a few feet away in a crumpled heap. The people inside the shelter were uninjured and there was absolutely no structural damage to the storm shelter."
This is really awesome! I didn’t even know such a thing existed. (I did know they made storm shelters, but I assumed they were concrete and buried.)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is really awesome! I didn’t even know such a thing existed. (I did know they made storm shelters, but I assumed they were concrete and buried.)
It is such a great feeling to know that you're safe. Doesn't stop you from worrying about what's going on outside, but you deal with that when you open the door. I don't regret one cent of what we spent on it.

I'm so sorry. Things are piling up for you.
I hope this is the storm before the calm, lol. It will be great to get this all behind us!

It's an off and on rainy morning. May not get much done on the tree, but maybe I'll make more progress on the bed. I hit a snag yesterday with some bolts that are too long for their spot. They won't tighten down like they should. I'm pretty sure they're the right ones (picked out of a jumbled up mess of hardware) because they're distinctive and the only two like it in the whole mess. I'm going to look for a couple of washers and hope they make everything "just right."

DH's blood sugar cooperated all night and we had another full night of sleep. Awake a little earlier than I planned, but I can deal with that.

Anxious to get past the worst of summer (long wait ahead, lol) because I really want to get a fall garden going.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still working on the bed. Made a lot of progress and am ready to set the twin bunk on top of the double bed base. Just can't do it alone. DS is coming by tomorrow to help. Pouring rain right now. I'll have to run outside and feed when it lets up some.

Been letting the goats in the yard every day to help with the tree clean up. They've pretty well got all the leaves that they can reach. It sure is lighter to haul a nude branch than a branch covered with hundreds of leaves. Thanks for the help girls! However, they need to leave my basil alone!

Guess I should something to feed the man.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crazy busy week.

I was still working on the grands new bed until I figured out that I was putting some pieces on upside down, again. In doing so, I managed to strip some of the screws. Got frustrated and walked away...

Been concentrating on yard clean up the last couple days. It's pure torture because of the mosquitoes. Unbelievable hordes of the nasty blood suckers. They seem to thrive on Deep Woods Off. Speaking of....I walked past DH this morning and he says to me "you smell good." WTH??? I told him - I smell like mosquito repellant, lol. Can't make this stuff up!

Had a tragedy a couple days ago. During the storm a tree fell on my fence and broke off a fence post. As the fence post laid over it raised up the bottom part of the woven wire. I guess it was just enough to let a predator crawl under. My guess is coyote(s). Found Panda, one of my Myotonics, dead and partially consumed. ARGH! I've had the LGD's locked up with the does/kids and couldn't access the pasture where this happened. Bucks are now back in their pen and the LGD's have run of the entire pasture. My bad, and I feel just awful about it. Panda was a fainting goat who fainted at a leaf dropping off a tree. Makes sense he was the one who was taken - he was literally a sacrificial goat. He fainted and the other guys got away.

Monday we see a new neurosurgeon. Fingers crossed he can help.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i never would have thought of that trait being a survival for the herd kind of thing... wow, what a trial things have been lately for you.

LOL about the smell good. :)

i used to use 100% DEET on my hat and collar and sleve cuffs and pants cuffs to keep the black flies and mosquitoes from eating me alive, but still they'd sometimes find a way through anyways.

does the pond have mosquitoe larvae eating fish in it? that might help. :)

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Myotonic goats have been used for sacrificial "lambs" in the past. I think it's a horrible practice and I hate that it happened at my place. He was an awesome buck and threw awesome kids. Now I've got to decide if I replace him or work with the bucks I have. As sad as it is - it's the circle of life.

A lot of wild critters, both prey and predators, were really stirred up by the hurricane. I talked to several neighbors after this happened and two of them have game cameras out. Coyotes, bobcat, deer, and hogs are being photographed more than usual. I'm sure many of them lost their hidey-holes and are looking for a new place to hang out. Hope by letting the LGD's back out to patrol the pasture they'll deter the predators from picking my place. Unfortunately, one neighbor directly next to me has let their acreage grow up and it's completely wild and thick. Perfect predator hiding place.

Pond is full of fish that eat everything that moves. The other day I threw out a line to try to catch a catfish. Caught a catfish and also caught a bluegill on the same cast. The bluegill literally swallowed the fishing line about 10 feet away from the hook. I had to cut the line to get it out of the fish's belly, lol. Landed the catfish first though!

Really strong t-storm came through last night and dumped a couple inches on us. Thunder so loud and strong it vibrated the house and even set off the security alarm. ARGH! Nothing like being awoken by a scary storm and then having your alarm blaring at the same time. No fun at all. With DH being barely able to move it was up to me to come downstairs and check everything out. Gulp!

Cooking up about 5 lbs of burger patties today. It's nice to have them pre-cooked and ready to go in the freezer for when DH has a burger attack.

Picked up some Hatch peppers at the store the other day. Going to get them into the dehydrator at some point today.

Back to it.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i've never heard of a fish swallowing the line like that where you had to cut it to get it out. would have been worth a vid or pictures for sure! :)

sorry about the animal loss and also the storm alarm adventure. i sure hope nobody tries to set up shop near your place. i'm assuming you do have a rifle if needed.