Grain/Gluten, Legume and Dairy free food ideas and sharing journal

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ok, ok, ok! My bad!

Yesterday we had scrambled eggs and spinach for breakfast, went out for lunch (dr appointments out the ying yang) and had chopped steak with green beans and mashed potatoes. I brought the potatoes home for the chooks. Dinner was bbq'd pulled pork and homemade coleslaw ala freemotion. ;) (It had crushed pineapple in it.)

Today:

Breakfast:
scrambled eggs and spinach (hey, I have to use up this fresh organic spinach before it goes bad!)

Lunch:
leftover pulled pork and coleslaw

Dinner plans:
Thai inspired seafood chowder (Made with cod, shrimp, coconut milk, turmeric, cilantro, bell peppers, diced tomatoes*, yellow and green onions in slow cooked bone broth)

*gonna try the nightshades just to make extra sure they are the culprit.

On a side note Sam had a visit with her dietitian yesterday. I asked her about calcium. She said that once Sam's body is "in balance" it won't require as much calcium as it would before when it wasn't healthy. (She explained it better of course...I may have to find a link to explain it.)

Oh and Navajo, I didn't send your scoby or kefir yet. Hopefully I'll have it in the mail by tomorrow. :) I didn't forget, just super busy. And thank you for the "good job". :)

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Ok, ok, ok! My bad!

Yesterday we had scrambled eggs and spinach for breakfast, went out for lunch (dr appointments out the ying yang) and had chopped steak with green beans and mashed potatoes. I brought the potatoes home for the chooks. Dinner was bbq'd pulled pork and homemade coleslaw ala freemotion. ;) (It had crushed pineapple in it.)

Today:

Breakfast:
scrambled eggs and spinach (hey, I have to use up this fresh organic spinach before it goes bad!)

Lunch:
leftover pulled pork and coleslaw

Dinner plans:
Thai inspired seafood chowder (Made with cod, shrimp, coconut milk, turmeric, cilantro, bell peppers, diced tomatoes*, yellow and green onions in slow cooked bone broth)

*gonna try the nightshades just to make extra sure they are the culprit.

On a side note Sam had a visit with her dietitian yesterday. I asked her about calcium. She said that once Sam's body is "in balance" it won't require as much calcium as it would before when it wasn't healthy. (She explained it better of course...I may have to find a link to explain it.)

Oh and Navajo, I didn't send your scoby or kefir yet. Hopefully I'll have it in the mail by tomorrow. :) I didn't forget, just super busy. And thank you for the "good job". :)
MAN! All that sounds SOOO good! Who would have thought eating healthy would taste so good, huh?

I'm taking notes here. Just need to find Free's cole slaw recipe again. I saw it somewhere today but didn't copy it down... And, if I find that I am allergic to nightshades by some chance I'll just have to suffer occasionally during the summer. Fresh home grown tomatoes from the garden are my all time favorite! Good luck!

Oh and NO WORRIES about the care package. I know you have a lot more important stuff piled on your plate these days. You just concentrate on you and yours.

SO glad to hear the DD is getting better and want to add that you are a SUPER MOM! More good thoughts heading your way!

Tom

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH! I forgot one of the questions I had for you. Have you ever eaten Polk Salad greens? I LOVE them sauteed with scrambled eggs in them. Is spinach and eggs similar?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Tom

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks Tom!

I hear ya on the no tomatoes thing, I used to eat them every single day. That is why I'm trying them out once again. Maybe it wasn't the tomatoes :fl that made me feel bad that day.

Have you ever had a spinach omelette? That is what it tastes like, just without the cheese.

I never had a polk salad.

One trick for getting some calcium is to make a nice tuna salad and toss in a can of sardines. (That is what is for lunch tomorrow.) The kiddos won't even know they are eating fish bones. :p

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Thanks Tom!

I hear ya on the no tomatoes thing, I used to eat them every single day. That is why I'm trying them out once again. Maybe it wasn't the tomatoes :fl that made me feel bad that day.

Have you ever had a spinach omelette? That is what it tastes like, just without the cheese.

One trick for getting some calcium is to make a nice tuna salad and toss in a can of sardines. (That is what is for lunch tomorrow.) The kiddos won't even know they are eating fish bones. :p
:fl for you too!

Don't think I ever had a spinach omlett either. But I do like it in my salad so I'm gonna give it a whirl next week.

As for sardines... MAN! That brings back memories. I haven't had sardines in FOREVER! My Dad and I liked to eat them with just plain white crackers but my Mom wouldn't let us even open the can in the house :gig

So we'd take them fishing with us and eat them on the lake or down at the shop for lunch. Ah, good times! Gonna get some of them too. I like mine in tomato sauce, is that good? Or do they now have HFCS added like everything else?

THANKS for the nudge about the cole slaw. I KNEW I'd seen it somewhere today! I went back and read this entire thread again today to get more ideas.

Thanks again!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You're welcome. :)

Just read the lables. Make your own tomato sauce...that sounds really good together actually. Over here you can get sustainably caught wild sardines packed in olive oil. Brand name is: "Wild Planet"

To make the scrambled spinach eggs, I just melted some bacon fat in the cast iron skillet, sauteed a handful of fresh spinach for a minute and then added the eggs and scrambled them all up together. eta: next time I'm tossing in some mushrooms

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I'm tossing in a recipe for those of you that can have dairy.

Crustless low carb quiche.

1 cup of real cream, preferably raw
6 eggs
bacon or sausage of choice
Cheese of choice (cheddar or pepper jack are favs here)
Cooked Vege of choice (steamed broc. and asparagus or spinach are good choices)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook meat of choice.
Shred cheese and place in the bottom of a pie plate or square glass baking dish.
Lay meat and veges in top.
Mix eggs, cream and seasonings together. Pour into pan gently.
Bake at 350 for 1/2? and hour, or till done.
Sketchy on times, as I always forget the timer, and tend to run on feel.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
big brown horse said:
Thanks Tom!

:fl for you too!

Don't think I ever had a spinach omlett either. But I do like it in my salad so I'm gonna give it a whirl next week.

As for sardines... MAN! That brings back memories. I haven't had sardines in FOREVER! My Dad and I liked to eat them with just plain white crackers but my Mom wouldn't let us even open the can in the house :gig

So we'd take them fishing with us and eat them on the lake or down at the shop for lunch. Ah, good times! Gonna get some of them too. I like mine in tomato sauce, is that good? Or do they now have HFCS added like everything else?

THANKS for the nudge about the cole slaw. I KNEW I'd seen it somewhere today! I went back and read this entire thread again today to get more ideas.

Thanks again!
Watch those sardine brands. Most are packed in icky oils :sick

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
I'm tossing in a recipe for those of you that can have dairy.

Crustless low carb quiche.

1 cup of real cream, preferably raw
6 eggs
bacon or sausage of choice
Cheese of choice (cheddar or pepper jack are favs here)
Cooked Vege of choice (steamed broc. and asparagus or spinach are good choices)
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook meat of choice.
Shred cheese and place in the bottom of a pie plate or square glass baking dish.
Lay meat and veges in top.
Mix eggs, cream and seasonings together. Pour into pan gently.
Bake at 350 for 1/2? and hour, or till done.
Sketchy on times, as I always forget the timer, and tend to run on feel.
Mmm!!!