Grain/Gluten, Legume and Dairy free food ideas and sharing journal

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Donrae, when my brother was your sons age (he still does this as he's only 15) he got super fat, then sprouted up and got skinny again. This was only marked by eating everything in sight.

Also, stick with it! It gets easier! I made flourless chocolate cake the other day, and now "normal" cake disgusts me.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know anything about GF, so this may not be unusual, but I went to our little local hole-in-the-wall store (to get fresh local milk-but pasteurized, and some raw unfiltered ACV, as well as local honey!) and they had a whole aisle of gluten free stuff - I thought of folks here and wondered if you have this or if my little "nothing" store is even better than I thought?

1857_gfree.jpg

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'd say that is pretty good for a little store. :) All the big stores have a gf section around here, just about that size.

Donrae, don't get discouraged! The first two weeks were the hardest for me/us. After that it went downhill from there. Keep healthy snacks and a couple of bottled waters in the car etc so you can nibble throughout the day. I keep almonds and brazil nuts in my glove box and I have thermos' filled with water in there as well.

The fruit bowl is well stocked too. I know you shouldn't over do it on fruit if you want to lose weight, but it is better than going hungry or getting bored with your food. Apple slices and nut butter with a pinch of sea salt taste almost like a carmel apple to me. Another friend mixed banannas with nut butter and says it is to die for. (I need to try that.)

Also I made a lot of slow cooked pork and steaks during the first two weeks. I was craving it for some reason. It was filling, gloppy and well seasoned. (Coleslaws too.)I didn't miss the other stuff as much when we ate that. (I know you aren't a big meat eater, perhaps you can indulge in something else that you really like or crave.) Now days we eat very 'lightly', ie not much food in total. My daughter just had a piece of sliced turkey and a few (like 2!) eggplant chips for her snack. She used to eat SOOO much too.

(We are going to have (organic) potatoes once a week, I've decided.)

Breakfast:
scrambled eggs with spinach mixed in
water

Lunch:
big spinach salad with sliced turkey on top
homemade raw honey mustard dressing
water

Dinner plans:
taco salad made with homemade taco mix, onions, avocados
water

Snack:
couple of eggplant chips (Sam had a slice of turkey as well)

Dessert:
dark chocolate squares

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Boom Choco Boom bars and coupon: http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_foods/chocolate_bars.html

You can get them in the healthier sections at Albertsons.

They taste just like a regular dark chocolate bar too. Such a lifesaver when you are feeling junk food deprived. One little square for dessert can get Sam to finish all of her veggies. (5 carbs per square)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
donrae said:
You should have your friend the stylist follow you around yelling that every few minutes! How cool!

Okay, for a while, then it'd be annoying.

My son is not lifting weights at all. He's 11 and I don't think he's spurting, that's usually accompanied by sleeping more and he's not.

I'm getting discouraged already and it sucks! I haven't been back to weigh but think I'm losing wieght, but I have food boredom already. I still feel hungrier than I remember being before, but the thought of eating whatever I packed for lunch gags me :( With everything else going on, maybe I'm crazy to do this now?

Maybe we need to liberalize carbs some, do more of a grain free diet vs low carb. It's just getting to the point where I'm worried about my boy's health and I so want to do what's best for him. But I also want tater chips and ice cream :rolleyes:
Grain free with other carbs to satiation would be a better choice if you are having trouble.
You can still have chips and ice cream, but, make your own, and choose the meal each week that you will eat those things.
Honey subs just fine in ice cream, especially if you are making it raw.
Fry sweet potato slices in lard and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
www.cheeseslave.com is a good place to go, if you want ideas.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Other carbs like fruit and carby veggies?

I don't count carbs in our food anymore. If we stay away from grains, gluten and legumes we drop the weight. (Raw milk is back on our menu.)

We also have good raw honey often in salad dressings and such.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Other carbs like fruit and carby veggies?

I don't count carbs in our food anymore. If we stay away from grains, gluten and legumes we drop the weight. (Raw milk is back on our menu.)

We also have good raw honey often in salad dressings and such.
That is what I meant.
If one is going low carb and grain free, the body is going to freak out metabolically.
Eat the taters! And play with legumes a bit if needed. Lacto ferment them first of course.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Breakfast:
scrambled eggs and spinach
water

Lunch:
biggy salad, lettuce, onions sliced nitrate free turkey
water

Dinner: (Thanks to my dear friends...)
KOREAN FOOD!!! It was fantastic, fresh fermented everything like daikon radish 'pickles', fresh kimchi (4 different kinds), some kind of fermented sweet after dinner drink, eggy soups, beef stir fry...the works!

Dessert:
Korean frozen yogurt topped with bluberries TASTE SENSATION Y'ALL!! :bun plain and tangy, not sweet except for the blueberries, OH MAMA! It was a perfect way to end the weekend.

I'm addicted to Korean food now. :p

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, BBH! No slacking here! :lol:

I have been following along with this thread to get some ideas and watching your and DD's amazing progress... You can't leave us hanging! :lol:

Seriously, hope everything is going well and look forward to reading more.

GREAT JOB SO FAR!!!