I NEED A BUYER!!!!!!!!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
That is true but you can't say the word "organic" without the paper work. Around here things are advertised as not sprayed or chemical free.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Instead of organic you say "chemical-free", "sustainable", "naturally grown", or, like Joel Salatin, "beyond organic".

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmm. That's not what I read. Maybe it's different in NY? What I'm aware of is that you can say organic, but cannot be "certified" without a fee involved. That many opt out for this reason. I think it's only expected if you're going to sell on a large scale and not if it's just for a little farm stand. I'll have to look into this.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but.....with small farming ventures, it is a good idea not to have all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. A bad year for pumpkins can wipe out your income for the year....but if pumpkins are a fraction of your income, it is merely a bump in the road, not a disaster. Think sustainable practices, not monoculture, for financial security as well as protecting and improving your land.

Has anyone mentioned soap sales? This is something you can do here and there in batches and it keeps. You can also keep your family in soap from all the broken bars and seconds. Soap is pretty easy to make and the start up is minimal.

You can actually do a number of things that you use for your own family and sell the excess. Money saved by doing things yourself is a valuable source of "income" for your household....remember, you have to earn something like $150 before taxes to have $100 to spend, depending on your bracket.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yes, but.....with small farming ventures, it is a good idea not to have all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. A bad year for pumpkins can wipe out your income for the year....but if pumpkins are a fraction of your income, it is merely a bump in the road, not a disaster. Think sustainable practices, not monoculture, for financial security as well as protecting and improving your land.

Has anyone mentioned soap sales? This is something you can do here and there in batches and it keeps. You can also keep your family in soap from all the broken bars and seconds. Soap is pretty easy to make and the start up is minimal.

You can actually do a number of things that you use for your own family and sell the excess. Money saved by doing things yourself is a valuable source of "income" for your household....remember, you have to earn something like $150 before taxes to have $100 to spend, depending on your bracket.
I'm so scared of handling the lye! Otherwise it's a great idea!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I didn't read the entire thread, so I hope I'm not duplicating. Renting is a great idea, especially for the sheer easiness of it. Around here, 3 acres would go for about $750/year. IF you could find someone who wanted to farm a field that small. Not sure what prices are by you.

I don't know how much time you have to work the land, but 3 acres could support anywhere from 30-90 CSA shares. Around here they start at around $500 a piece, so that 3 acres could gross you $15,000-45,000, with a LOT of work, of course.

Just an idea.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Don't be. Cover your eyes at all times (goggles) and don't be too scared. I have literally spilled it all over myself. I'm a major klutz AND a soapmaker. It's not nice, but it does wash off rather quickly.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Don't be. Cover your eyes at all times (goggles) and don't be too scared. I have literally spilled it all over myself. I'm a major klutz AND a soapmaker. It's not nice, but it does wash off rather quickly.
Yep, easy-peasy. Have you ever used bleach for anything? Are you still around to tell the tale? :p The precautions are the same. Work near your sink so you can rinse off quickly. The worst I've ever done is splash a crystal or a drop on an arm, and it barely had time to sting before I had it rinsed off. Goggles and rubber gloves for the mixing and stirring part, then you are good to go.

Make soap in a room with no children or pets for added safety. Once you know what you are doing, you barely need an hour for a batch. Clean up is easy...it is soap, after all!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
you can do like I do....

wait until hobby lobby puts out a 40% off coupon and buy a bag of melt & pour :D